Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulating Torque in Autodesk Inventor or Autodesk Multiphysics

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
1028 Views, 1 Reply

Simulating Torque in Autodesk Inventor or Autodesk Multiphysics

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently modeling a screw for a spinal implant for my Senior Design project and I am trying to analyze the amount of torque that it can withstand before breaking. I would like to simulate the screw being inserted into bone and see the pressure that the thread undergoes, however, I've only been able to apply forces along the Z and Y axis.

I would appreciate any help regarding this issue. Thank you very much for your time and help.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
henderh
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi xalan001,

You can apply a torque load instead of a force, it is labeled as moment.

I'm not that familiar with bone material, but I assume that the screw threads do not undergo plastic deformation.  It is non-trivial to do a non-linear analysis on threads...as only 2-4 threads hold most of the load at least when we're dealing with metal on metal.

If you need to include the compliance of bone, I suspect bone may have a non-linear stiffness [Edit: or it is considered a brittle material].  Therefore, this may require Autodesk Mechanical simulation.

Hope this helps...

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report