Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

patrick.mann
Message 1 of 5 (1,844 Views)

Simulating magnets and magnetic moment

1844 Views, 4 Replies
06-28-2012 01:15 PM

I am working on a project for an electricity and magnetism class that deals with using neodymium magnets to propel other neodymium in around a ring.  I was curious if anyone was aware of a method of both importing neodymium or any other rare earth magnetic material into Autodesk Inventor 2013 and then running a dynamic simulation on an assembly consisting of those parts.

Employee
henderh
Message 2 of 5 (1,833 Views)

Re: Simulating magnets and magnetic moment

06-28-2012 01:56 PM in reply to: patrick.mann

Hi Patrick,

Inventor Simulation (Dynamic Sim or Stress Analysis) doesn't have any electro-magnetic simulation functionality.

You may be able to 'fake it' by using the input grapher to define a force function that is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the "magnetic" bodies.  However, it would be tricky at best to account for the E-M field lines, etc.

This topic has been touched upon here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Neodymium-Magnets/td-p/2361898

Hope this helps.  Please let us know if you have any additional questions, comments or suggestions.

Thanks, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
Simulation QA Engineer
DLS
patrick.mann
Message 3 of 5 (1,828 Views)

06-28-2012 02:03 PM in reply to: henderh

Thank you for the reply.  Are there any other Autodesk products that enable simulation with magnetic forces?

Employee
henderh
Message 4 of 5 (1,821 Views)

06-28-2012 02:12 PM in reply to: patrick.mann

Hi Patrick,

Autodesk Mechanical Simulation does have an electrostatics module.  Initially, I was just searching for magnetic in the product offering functionality page here: http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/simulation_mechanical_multiphysics_comparison_matrix_en.pdf

You can search or ask for more specific info about whether the electrostatics functionality has what you're after in the MechSim forum here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Simulation-Mechanical/bd-p/396

I hope this helps!

Best regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
Simulation QA Engineer
DLS
patrick.mann
Message 5 of 5 (1,808 Views)

06-28-2012 03:13 PM in reply to: patrick.mann

Thank you again.  I think Multiphysics might just be the ticket!

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.