Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simply supported plate problem

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
xyz1982
1558 Views, 5 Replies

Simply supported plate problem

Hi. I am trying to model a simply supported floor panel with a load applied over a small circle in the middle. I am having trouble with the constraints to make it simply supported. I have tried to just apply a fixed constraint to all of the bottom edges but this gives values that are completely different to analytical solutions of the problem.

I have attached a jpg of the stress and displacement plots and would be very grateful if anyone could help me with this.

Thanks for your time,

Sam

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: xyz1982

How would it be supported in real world?

I've noticed a lot of classical "school" problems for demonstrating hand calculations are not set up in a realistic way.

(in the real world I have never seen a plate supported by bottom edges)

Attach your part file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
xyz1982
in reply to: JDMather

The file is too large to attach, even zipped apparently. The problem is to examine the panel when "built-in" i.e. bolted down, and then compare this to when it is "simply supported." 

The question is worded, "If there was not enough time to bolt the panel down, so in effect it was only simply supported around its edge, what would the maximum stress and deflection in the panel be?"

My issue is how to setup the constraints in Autodesk to model this.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
blair

I am having trouble with the constraints to make it simply supported. I have tried to just apply a fixed constraint to all of the bottom edges but this gives values that are completely different to analytical solutions of the problem.

The contraints you applied are not simply supported. You could do a fixed contraint on one edge and contraints only in the direction of your force for the other side. (this is a carry over from my old Algor days) a in the FEA editor came in unsupported and we always had to fix it in space).

Expand the contraints box and only select the direction that your force will be applied X, Z, or Y.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

@xyz1982 wrote:

The file is too large to attach, even zipped apparently. 

Thanks.

Drag the red End of Part marker at the bottom of the feature history tree to the top of the browser hidding all features.
Right click delete any analysis results from the browser.

Now save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state and zip.

That file should by tiny.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

That file looks very simple.

You should be able to get it attached here.

or

the size limit is much larger over here

http://www.augi.com

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report