Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplified Part - Assembly won't merge into one seamless part

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Marcel_
919 Views, 6 Replies

Simplified Part - Assembly won't merge into one seamless part

Hello,

I am experiencing trouble with the simplify function of Inventor 2014. I would like to simplify this assembly into one seamless part for FEM calculation:

0.png

The assembly consists out of parts that, in reality, will be welded together. Due to their form, there is no way to place them exactly onto each other, therefore there are slight gaps between the parts:

1.png

Now when I try to merge the assembly into one part via "simplify" --> "create simplified part" and choose "single solid body with seams between planar faces merged", Inventor does not fill these gaps (even though it displays only one part in the bottom right corner of my window). Unfortunately, the remaining gaps brings "contact" problems in the FEM simulation.

Do you have advice on how to close the gaps and really merge the assembly into one part?

thanks in advance,

Marcel

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Marcel_

Hard to tell from an image, but it looks like it could be as simple as adding a Thicken feature along that face to merge the disjointed solid bodies.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
nkeeley

My advice is to redraw as a single solid. It's going to give you the most stable FEA. Simplify is a great tool, but I think what you're trying to do is a little outside it's scope.

Message 4 of 7
LT.Rusty

Rather than going through the trouble you went through here, why wouldn't you just leave it as an assembly and add in the welds that you need, and run your analysis on the part as it will actually be built? 

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
Marcel_
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Hello,

thank you very much for your advice. I have gone with the option to actually add weldseams. Do the Inventor weldseams give realistic results in the FEM Analysis?

I have not been able to try for myself because I am still experiencing some other problems, which I have to weed out as well.

Marcel

Message 6 of 7
LT.Rusty

I do a lot of structural steel stuff which has to go to an independent testing facility for actual load testing before we can advertise the product for a specific ANSI-specified load rating.  On a typical part with a span of ~40 inches or so, and several hundred individual weld beads, I find that the variations between the predictions from the FEA and the real-world testing results are generally within about .01" or so on displacement.  This is pretty good, considering the margin of error of the fabricators, who are doing it all by hand and haven't exactly heard of MIL-TFD-41C. 

Rusty

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
Marcel_
in reply to: LT.Rusty

That is very interesting, thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report