Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Extrude Problem?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
393 Views, 10 Replies

Simple Extrude Problem?

HI

I've been looking at this problem for too long so perhaps someone else can shed some light. I've attached a simple drawing, fully constrained consisting of 3 circles. The smaller circle is further constrained with tangent constraints with the larger two. I've also attached an image showing the area I wish to extrude into 3d. Now if if trim the drawing then the extrude is quite simple, however I want to keep the circles in place so that I can alter their dimensions at will and therefore automatically adjust the dimensions of the extrude at will....any ideas how this can be done?

Thanks in advance

Roger

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Might be a simpler way, but make your sketch lines construction and then put 3 circles back over erach one conctraining them to each other (no dimensions) By draging the circle until it touches the other it goes on top of. Then trim those lines. This way you still have the original skecth.Circles.PNG

Although if you trim them properly in the right order you will still have your dimensions and it will be editiable.

Circles 2.PNG

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks for that, though if possible I want to avoid trimming or any other manual operations. The end goal is to be able to parameterise the dimensions so I simply type in the parameties and the 3d part is created ready for dynamic simulation (I need to run hundreds of simulations with different sized extrudes)

Roger

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Object resizes fine in both examples by simply changing diemnsion values.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

oh, I misunderstood you, let me try this and I'll report back...

Message 6 of 11
sam_m

Inventor is "seeing" 3 separate closed profiles and doesn't realized you're trying to link them together.  You can do this by using the "point" tool in the sketch (not a work point but the drawing "point" - button left of Text).  While in the sketch click "point" and then click on the 3 joints - the 2 tangents and the cross-over.  Now try extrude 😉

no need to redraw arcs over the top or trim your sketch away to something less easy to relate to. Smiley Very Happy

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 7 of 11
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Roger456,

sam_m beat me to the punch, but here is a link that illustrates his suggestion:

http://inthemachine-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2009/03/no-need-to-trim.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Thanks for both of these, I won't be able to try either of them until I get home tonight. One question about the 'point' solution though - as I said I want to be able to alter the dimensions of the circles - in which case will the points at the intersentions automatically and corrently move as I do so as I'm looking at it and have the horrible feeling that they won't?

Roger

Message 9 of 11
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Roger456,

The sketch points are constrained to the intersection of the circles, so as the intersections shift, the points do to. So it should work very well for you.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Smiley Happy I'll try that at soon as I get home then....

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Hi

Yes the 'point' trick worked very well! A much underestimated tip I imagine. Thanks to everyone who took time to respond

Roger

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report