Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Similar parts. Having a base component linked to change other parts?

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
435 Views, 15 Replies

Similar parts. Having a base component linked to change other parts?

Hello!

Maybe this is already brought up a few times or doesnt even work. But I didnt know what to search for exactly.. I did search but found nothing so I am posting here now.

Issue:

I have around 3-5 parts that are almost the same. Top 5 Dimensions that is diff. So I could go creating one then Save copy and change them dimensions. But now I know I want two holes in all of them and I have to change all 3-5 parts one by one.

Is there a way so I don't have to change them all, and instead only put two holes in one part that is linked to all others so they update?

I can provide images and more information if you want. Help would be very appriciated cause I could use this in my proffesion.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Investigate the Derived Component functionality and perhaps iParts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Investigate the Derived Component functionality and perhaps iParts.

Okey thanks, I will see what I can find about them.

I've heard about and used Derived Part once. Could find how to edit the part inside the new part doh(existent sketches)...

iParts is something i've never used.

If anyone got straight answer or a video of my issue please share  🙂

Message 4 of 16
JDMather

There is all sorts of general information available - but for a specific answer - you should attach your files here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 16
mcgyvr

Personally I would use iparts for this.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

There is all sorts of general information available - but for a specific answer - you should attach your files here.

Didn't have time yesterday to reply sry.

But I'm at work now so I can look into it now.

And I will attach them.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

Personally I would use iparts for this.. 

Alright!

I should look into it then 🙂

Have you done it before so its something you can explain for me or maybe you got a good tutorial for it?

Thanks Guys!

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

Okey. Sry for triple posting but I can't figure out how to multi quote in one post?

But here are the hand writed drawings of what im doing. I thought that would help more.

But what I got right now is 3 diffrent drawing but same base part. 200x190x18. I want to make 3 new drawings in inventor.

Then there are the 30, 12 and 6 dimension that diff.

All of sudden we say they want them holes(or I forgot to make them) that you can find in one of the photos. The holes should be in all drawings/parts.

This I want to accomplish without having to put holes in the 3 diff parts. 3 is not much ofc but I will have more of these coming.

I hope you understand.

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww339/callesson/p4.jpg

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww339/callesson/p3.jpg

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww339/callesson/p1.jpg

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww339/callesson/p2.jpg

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

Okey.

Here is what I did now. And that should work I belive. But any suggestion would help ! 🙂

base.png

Message 10 of 16
wimann

Seems like you're going for a derived part and doing it as correctly as I can tell from seeing your picture. So I think you've got it down.

I'll share a few tips that I've found useful for derived parts:

• Keep in mind that you do not have to derive an entire part file. You may also derive just a sketch or perhaps just parameters to link parts together.
  • In some cases, it can be useful to have a part that is utilized but is also the "parent" and in others, a seperate "parent" part may be a more appropriate approach.
  • Keep in mind that after changing the "parent", the children of that parent (or an assembly that they are in) must be opened and updated.

I most often have derived parts from multibody part files I use to create assemblies. Which is another method of part modeling that you may investigate as you progress.

Hope this helps.

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: wimann

@Anonymous wrote:

Seems like you're going for a derived part and doing it as correctly as I can tell from seeing your picture. So I think you've got it down.

I'll share a few tips that I've found useful for derived parts:

• Keep in mind that you do not have to derive an entire part file. You may also derive just a sketch or perhaps just parameters to link parts together.
  • In some cases, it can be useful to have a part that is utilized but is also the "parent" and in others, a seperate "parent" part may be a more appropriate approach.
  • Keep in mind that after changing the "parent", the children of that parent (or an assembly that they are in) must be opened and updated.

I most often have derived parts from multibody part files I use to create assemblies. Which is another method of part modeling that you may investigate as you progress.

Hope this helps.

Yea It looks like I managed , I did that for now because I had a timelimit. But I would still love to know it better and also the (ipart) that some spoke of.

Tip 1: I found out that I could do this yes. By sharing a sketch in the window on the base component I could pick it when using Derive in the child part. I guess that is how you do it? Am I able to change the parameters of the Parent or am I only able to use the parameters in the child part?

IMG

para.PNG

Tip 2: I'm not sure what you mean.

Tip 3: Yea, this I did notice thanks!:)

Last part I don't understand completly but I'll prolly understand when I learn more about this.

Thank you Sir. This was very kind of you, sharing. 🙂

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

So I figured out how to use the basic of derive component. 

1) And I made a base part that had all constant diemensions in it. Like width, height, holes etc.. (See img)

base1.PNG

2)Then I made 4 other parts and I used Derive and picked the Base part.

3)Then I added some extrusions. I had to make the extrusions on all the Child parts. And they all was same exept the 30mm dimension that i've marked.(One is 30 one 12mm one 6mm...etc) Otherwise they are the same. (See img)

child.PNG

My question:

Is there a way to make the extrusions that are made in step 3) in the Base parent part and then change the (30,12,6mm..) dimensions in the child part without effecting the Parent? If so, then I would only have to make those sketches and extrusions once. So if I hade to change something it would be even eaiser. 

I'm looiking forward for help. Thanks

mvh

philip

Message 13 of 16
wimann

Callesson wrote:

...Tip 2: I'm not sure what you mean...
What I mean is that sometimes it is more useful to have a parent part that isn't actually utilized itself but from which all the children parts are derived.
disgramlol.JPG
Either way works but one has a standalone parent that isn't used anywhere else.
As for tip 1, yeah that is one way you can get sketches to derive but you don't need to share them. When you derive a part, you can select any and all derivable features/parameters in the derive dialog without having to see any of it in the browser.
dpartdia.JPG
oh and yes, parameters derived from a parent cannot be altered in the child.
Hope this helps.

-Will Mann

Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 14 of 16
wimann

Based on what you're telling me here, seems like iParts may be a better route for you unfortunately. I know you've done alot of work into deriving this but when you've got something like what you've got, it seems like the way to go.

If you were to stay with a derived part, those slots would still need to be cut in each child individually. The best you could really do is try to transfer as much useful information about that top sketch and any others that you need to create that feature without fully defining the 30mm length. Then in the part file, use what you can from the parent then apply the other dims.

-Will Mann

Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

...Tip 2: I'm not sure what you mean...
What I mean is that sometimes it is more useful to have a parent part....

Okey, I think I got it now.

And yes, everything is helpfull thanks :)!!

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Based on what you're telling me here, seems like iParts may be a better route for you unfortunately. I know you've done alot of work into deriving this but when you've got something like what you've got, it seems like the way to go.

If you were to stay with a derived part, those slots would still need to be cut in each child individually. The best you could really do is try to transfer as much useful information about that top sketch and any others that you need to create that feature without fully defining the 30mm length. Then in the part file, use what you can from the parent then apply the other dims.

I understand you. I'll look into this iParts thing. It will be good to know in the future too. I'm all about learning aswell so its only good.

For now I think I'll survive with this. Just a little bit more work but it will do. I'll look into it atleast and se how much I can make in the Parent file.

"create that feature without fully defining the 30mm length. Then in the part file, use what you can from the parent then apply the other dims."

Could you explain how I would do that? Cause I can't really figure it out..

EDIT : PS Why did you type in red.. "Used as    A n a l    prod." ? Smiley Very Happy 😉 haha.. I had to!..

Many Thanks! / calle

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report