Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shrinkwrap Substitute Files iProperties used in Parts List

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
swallowsc
524 Views, 5 Replies

Shrinkwrap Substitute Files iProperties used in Parts List

Does anybody know how to pull properties from your shrinwrap substitite parts into the parts list on your drawings?

Let me give a quick brief of why I'm asking that question.  Basically we have a baseline number of assemblies that are installed into multiple files associate with multiple installs of the same variant .  And when we revise them it's per the variant, not a global change.  So I've determined that doing a shrinkwrap substitute is the best way to "freeze" the geometery of that baseline number's geometery for that variats instance.  Basically I've named the shrinkwrap sub part as the change form number associated with the revision so i dosen't affect the other files with updated changes.  But in my drawing I still want it to reference the baseline assy number.  But in my parts list I would like to set up a column with the shrinkwrap sub part's iproperties to reference in the list to which ever LOD I use in that particular assy file.  Anybody know how to do that?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: swallowsc

Hi! This is an interesting workflow but I am afraid there is some confusion involved in this workflow. LOD (Shrinkwrap) is not supposed to alter BOM table. If it did, please let me know asap and it would be a serious issue to fix. LOD was designed to be a memory management tool helping users to handle large assembly when capacity runs out. Somehow some users believe it can be used for purpose other than memory management. I am trying to find out how the misunderstanding started.

To do exactly like what you described, you would need to override the BOM table manually (or via API or iLogic). In a sense, you are mixing a substitute part with a subassembly. If it is not done properly, it could make BOM table data confusing.

Please bear with me that I may not fully understand the exact rationale of using this workflow. But, I am wondering why you could not make the change to the subassembly itself? Why does it have to be on the substitute part?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 6
swallowsc
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnson, sorry for the confusing.  Maybe this will break it down a little better.

This is basically how our CI system is setup for lifestyle revision changes.  Let's say you have 10 vehicles you are adding a kit for a product you produced as and add-on and then ship to a customer.  These kits are for the same make and model vehicle and should all be installed identical with the same drawing package in "theory".  So more than likely you have one drawing that list all your items in a parts list that can be used for all 10 vehicles.  This is considered your baseline package.  But then you start finding out from the customer that there are slight different variations in every vehicle that require tweaks to only specific ones that do not apply to the other ones.  Basically how our process is set up to define that, is we write a deviation form with an assigned number that specifically points out which one of those vehicles we are tweaking from the "baseline" kit we already produced.  So therefore I can't just go update my models to that deviation because it will be inaccurate geometry for all the other ones.

This is why I shrinkwrap sub them.  Basically I have an assigned number for my files and it "freezes" that revision's geometry so I can then place into a higher level assembly files.  So in order to track that I name the shrinkwrap parts the same name as the deviation form number associate with the change.  

So basically I'm doing nothing more than calling out different versions/revisions of a common part number that I want reference in my parts list automatically.  Make sense?

Message 4 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! Please refrain from apologizing. I am trying to understand the workflow and requirement better. Personally, I don't think Shrinkwrap is the ideal workflow to use in this particular case. If I were you, I would use iAssembly instead. Have you tried iAssembly?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6
swallowsc

Also note that this is basically another way  just doing a "save-as" on the file names if I'm putting them in a higher level assembly.  I understand if I split these up into 10 assy files and save as I can replace only the ones that get changed with my deviation number.  I could use the Stock number property to retain that base line number in my parts list.  Problem is that the way our CI system is set up I can't do that (loooong story why).  So basically I'm doing what I'm doing to bend the CAD design activity the way our process is set up.

Message 6 of 6
swallowsc
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I have not use iAssembly before.  Even though why I'm doing the process how I explained, I am still using the shrinkage function for its main purpose to reduce the file size.  I like putting these assemblies into higher ones as a part file rather than the assemblies from the main LOD because It retains the BOM items the same at my top level.  I just like putting in different variants of the shrinkwrapped assemblies and trying to make the parts list identify which one I'm using in a particular assembly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report