Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shrink wrap question

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
lmcvay
4030 Views, 6 Replies

Shrink wrap question

What is the purpose of creating/using shrink wrap substitutes? I thought that it reduces the file size, but noticed that some files turn to be larger after shrink wrapping it. ???

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jdkriek
in reply to: lmcvay

@lmcvay wrote:

What is the purpose of creating/using shrink wrap substitutes? I thought that it reduces the file size, but noticed that some files turn to be larger after shrink wrapping it. ???

Start a thread in the proper section for that type of question - has nothing to do with Customization.

Jonathan D. Kriek
MFG Solutions Engineer
KETIV Technologies, Inc.

Message 3 of 7
Cadmanto

Welcome to the forum.

I personally have not used this functionality, but I found another thread that addresses the shrink wrap

function and might lead you to what you are looking for.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor-Customization/Shrink-wrap/td-p/2773760

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 7
bobvdd
in reply to: Cadmanto

What options did you use in the shrinkwrap dialog?

Can we get more data? What percentage size increase did you get? How complex is your data set?

Can you share it here or you can send it to bob.van.der.donck@autodesk.com? Thanks.

We also have a new version of a shrinkwrap tool on Autodesk Labs that supposedly is better than the official one you have in the 2013 product. I would give it a try. See http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/inventor_simplification.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 5 of 7
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: bobvdd

are you comparing the size of the top level assembly file with the size of the shrinkwraped assembly?

the shrinkwrap is a single file with all the assembly info in it.

If you add up the sizes of all of the subassemblies and parts used in the top assembly, that is what you shoud be comparing to the shrinkwrap.

ie 

AssyFull = 1.2 Mb

subassy1 = 0.6 Mb

subassy2 = 0.8 Mb

part1ofsubassy1 = 2.3 Mb

part2ofsubassy1 = 2.1 Mb

part3ofsubassy1 = 3.4 Mb

part1ofsubassy2 = 0.8Mb

part2ofsubassy3 = 6.7 Mb

ie total size of assy when used in further assemblies = 17.9 Mb not 1.2 Mb

shrink wrap might bring that down to 8.4 Mb which is bigger than your AssyFull.iam file size but significantly less than the 17.9 Mb which is the assemblies actually memory footprint.

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 6 of 7
KFrankenberger

Hello!

I have another question for shrink wrap. I thought I asked it before but can't find the response anywhere. Can you walk me step by step through shrink wrap? Which options do you select to streamline and make your final result smaller in file size? I need to get under 25 mb and I am having trouble accomplishing this. I don't want to totally destroy the look of the assembly, but it is fine if I have to give up on all my details.

Message 7 of 7

Ok I answered my own question by just trying different options. Tried choosing the "inseparable" option under Default BOM Structure in the "Create Shrinkwrap Part" window.

Then in the "Assembly Shrinkwrap Options" window I selected the far right box for style.

Checked "remove geometry" and "Ignore Surface Features" and selected Parts and Faces under simplification,

Checked "None" for Hole Patching.

Under Include Other Objects I deselected Work Geometry and Sketches.

Checked Reduce Memory Mode.

And I got my 65,000 kb file (first attempt) down to a manageable 22,000 kb.

Thanks for making me work out!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report