Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

showing parts in an assembly in phantom

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
5313 Views, 8 Replies

showing parts in an assembly in phantom

At one time I managed to divine a way of showing parts in an assembly drawing in phantom. This is characterized by the icon for the part in the browser changing to green colour. Being elderly, I have forgotten how I managed to do this. Could anyone enlighten me on the procedure for doing this ?

Thank you in advance

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the forum.

In your browser under the view that you want the component shown in phantom  tree out the view until you see the component.  Then right click on the part and select properties.

tree.JPG

Then in the next dialog window you will see where you can change the line type.

tree1.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: Cadmanto

or are you talking about setting a part to "reference" which will cause it to not show in the parts list and also being shown as hidden lines in a drawing automatically.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Quite frankly, I don't know. At some time in the past I discovered a way of displaying a part in phantom in an assembly drawing which makes it easier to show underlying structure. As I said in my original post, the icon for the part in the browser turns green when this function is engaged. Is this characteristic of what you are describing ?
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Being self taught I unfortunately am not very good with the terms to use Inventor. If I right click on a component in the browser I don't have the option of "Properties" only "iProperties". The function that I had previously found does not change line type per se it just shows the component in phantom. The function that you are describing, does it result in the change of colour of the component icon in the browser ?
Message 6 of 9
PaulMunford

Is this what you remember seeing?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Green-icon/td-p/2388984

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 7 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: PaulMunford

What is the intent or reason for showing these parts like this?

Do you want these parts shown in "hidden" lines just for visual purposes in a single view?

Do these parts need to be included in the bill of materials/parts list for that assembly?

Are these "reference" parts like an assembly/welding fixture or something?

Knowing the intended reason for wanting this will help us to tell you how it "should" be done and why.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 8 of 9
cwhetten

I think maybe you aren't talking about an actual drawing (.idw file), but an assembly (.iam file).  In this case, I think what you are looking for is Enable/Disable.  Right-click a component and uncheck Enable.  This will "ghost out" the part, making it mostly transparent but still visible.  This will also make the icon turn green, like you said.

To turn it back on, just right-click it and check Enable (you will have to do this in the tree/browser, since one of the effects of disabling a part is that it is no longer selectable in the graphics window).

Message 9 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: cwhetten

yeah a "drawing" (idw file) is a 2D representation of a part (ipt file) or assembly file (iam file).

"phantom" is routinely used to describe a "non-stocking/built on-the-fly" subassembly in which all the components in that subassembly are pushed up into the upper level assembly bill of materials.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report