Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

showing movement/translation in drawing

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1242 Views, 4 Replies

showing movement/translation in drawing

Hi,

I have an assembly of a rod in a cylinder. When compressed, this rod sticks out 10mm from the cylinder. When extended, this rod sticks out 50mm. I am trying to create a drawing which shows the compressed state and extended state together, hopefully by representing the extended rod as a dotted line. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Position Representations in assembl and

Overlay views in drawings.

Not sure, but I think there might be an example in the Arbor Press samples/tutorials.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
DRoam
in reply to: Anonymous

Absolutely, using design view reps. In the navigation tree on the left you'll see a folder called "Representations." Expand it and you'll see an entry called "Position."

Before you do anything with the positional rep, create (if you haven't already) a constraint that has the rod in the compressed position.

Then right click on Position in the navigation tree and select new. Then, go down to the constraint that holds the rod in the compressed position, right click it, and select "Override." You can then check the "Value" box and enter the value necessary to pu the rod in the extened position.

Now when you place the views in the drawing, you can select which position from within the view placement dialog box.

Not sure how you could make the rod dotted line when in the extened position. It's probably possible but I couldn't tell you how.

Hope this helps!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Worked great! Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
alphil
in reply to: DRoam

Once you place your base view (displaying the main position) in the drawing file, you then go up to "Overlay" in the "Place Views" ribbon. Click on the view that you would like the overlay to appear in (probably your base view) and go from there. I noticed the line thickness was a little too bold for me and made the base view look cluttered. You can (tediously) click on all the dotted lines from your overlaid position, then right-click and change the weight of the lines to make it look a little neater.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report