Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showcase 2015 crashes in material edit

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
TCMDESIGN_Group
1435 Views, 17 Replies

Showcase 2015 crashes in material edit

although I am happy that AutoDesk decided to include Showcase 2015 in their recent release for those of us that didn't use MAX, it is not working. I have the same hardware and the same settings now as I did when 2014 worked great and now it crashes when I go to the materials edit pop-up.  The automated AutoDesk response tells me have an unsupported display driver (mine is Intel HD 3000, ver 9 on a Toshiba Satellite, most current Toshiba has)...but when I run the hardware diagnostics from Inventor 2015 it says that my hardware in certified.

AutoDesk please help?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
blair
in reply to: TCMDESIGN_Group

I might try updating the graphics drivers for your device. Not sure what changes (if any) were made to Showcase 2015 from 2014 other than the ability to import IV2015 files. Possibly remove Showcase and Re-install. Make sure that you are logged in as Administrator and have all Anti-Virus software disabled and the UAC slider set to it's lowest position.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 18
TCMDESIGN_Group
in reply to: blair

Thank you Blair for the quick SUNDAY response as this severely restricts my
client presentation.

As I said, I DID check with the Toshiba site and I do have what they
consider the most current driver for my PC eventho Intel has later versions
(that will not install; I tried)

I WILL uninstall and try again. Will keep you posted.

TODD D MILLER

TCM Design Group, LLC.
Message 4 of 18
blair

If it had a Nvidia based graphics card, I would suggest going to the website: www.laptopvideo2go.com which has "modified" drivers. The installation file has been modified to allow for installation on laptops that require a "Manufactures ID Code" to be present to allow them to be installed. I used to have this problem with my older Dell Precission laptop. I could only install drivers from the Dell website which were well behind of the current releases.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 18

re-install and reboot did not work; un-install-reboot-re-download-re-install and reboot did not work..... all with firewall and security/protection disabled

next idea?

Message 6 of 18
blair

Nada, It seems like an unlikely error to have a graphics card error when you are modifying a material. Check if you are current on all Windows Updates, look at the .NET 4.0 and .NET 4.5

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 18
TCMDESIGN_Group

Blair, I started Showcase Console and it reported that it could not fing the log4cplus service.....any connection?

Also, I went thru Programs and Features deleting as much of the 2014 titles that were redundant in 2015 and a strange thing happened. Showcase 2015 no longer occurs in the installed list...but remains on my PC and I can run it (as before). When I rerun Showcase setup it says it is already installed. Problem is, without it showing up in Programs and features, I cannot uninstall it to try a fresh install.....

another strange item. selecting HELP in Showcase 2015 brings up help windows titled 2015, but with 2014 content pages......

Message 8 of 18
blair

If you use the Autodesk Uninstall Tool, does it show up in the list to remove?

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 18
TCMDESIGN_Group

I ran the Autodesk uninstall tool and it DID see it, so I uninstalled it. It ended fine and is no longer visable in the Autodesk uninstall tool. It IS STILL installed and able to run!....still does not show up in Programs and Features!.....

Message 10 of 18
blair

Sounds like you have some other issues with your Windows Registry as well. I would log in as Administrator, set your UAC slider to it's lowest position, install Ccleaner from the www.piriform.com website. Use the Registry Tool to clean up your Windows Registry. Probably won't hurt to use the Cleaner function as well to clean up your systems Temp and Cache directories. Do a reboot of the PC and try installing Showcase as Administrator with the UAC slider to it's lowest setting. If you have any Anti-Virus software I would disable it prior to installing Showcase.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 18
TCMDESIGN_Group

running System Mechanic Registry Optimize and Repair....only 2276 problems...lol...will advise
Message 12 of 18

WELL , I finally found the AutodeskShowcase9.0 windows installer under C:\Autodesk\WI\Autodesk Showcase 2015\x64\Showcase....which uninstalled the Showcase 2015....rebooted, and reinstalled it...SAME ERROR!
Message 13 of 18
blair

At a loss, I'll try and get this escalated to Support.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 18
TCMDESIGN_Group

thanks Blair, I finally got the Intel HD 3000 driver up to 9.17 but still no joy....I even uninstalled Showcase, rebooted and re-installed after updating the driver and still the same problem. As I originally stated in the OP, I use Showcase to create presentation and concept art for clients and would rather not deal with MAX....
Message 15 of 18
blair

I have notified the Modirator to see if he can escalate this to a Support Issue.

Blair

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 16 of 18

Hello,

from what I can say, the graphiccard you are using is not a certified one, nor a recommended one. This is a standard consumer card that is not intended to use with CAD applications nor realtime raytracing engines like Showcase. So i assume that the graphiccard is the issue.

This graphiccard is an inbuild card which is sharing the cache with the CPUs.and has no dedicated RAM for its own (shared memory). So I would definitely recommend using a PC with a certified Nvidia card, as Showcase is consuming really much performance. Much more than many other products from Autodesk.

Normally I expect, that Showcase will never start with that kind of graphiccard.

You can also check wich card should run fine with Showcase.

Please use this Link:

BTW: if one is running into an issue with deinstalling software, I always recommend using the Microsoft tool from here:

Best Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 17 of 18

thank you for the response, and if 2015 were my first install I would accept that. But two things lead me to push for more answers. 1) all the 2014 Design Suite Standard tools ran without incident...including Showcase...and 2) all the 2015 tools work, including 3ds MAX and I assume it requires more resources than anything else...respectfully.....
Message 18 of 18

Hello,

to be honest I do not know, why Showcase 2014 ran fine and the 2015 not. I wondered why Showcase even could load with that kind of graphiccard.

But I know, that 3dsMax can run with standard gaming cards, where Showcase definitely needs a much better card, as this is a realtime OpenGL and Raytracing engine that needs the full power of the GPU and much RAM of the graphiccard.

best Regards,

Florian Coenen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report