Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show Removed Portion On DWG (IDW)

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
gobluejd
322 Views, 6 Replies

Show Removed Portion On DWG (IDW)

I have a part (for simple explination 1/4" Bar Stock 8" Long x 1.5" Wide).  We need to modify it and remove say 1" (Final is 7" x 1.5").  I need to show the proccess in a drawing.  So I need to show the FULL PIECE prior to the cut and then a dotted line showing where to remove the 1".  Obviously I bring the "cut part" into a IDW but I can not show the part that was removed.  Hope this makes sense.

Thougths? I attaced a AutoCad file showing what I mean. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: gobluejd

Investigate Overlay views.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
gobluejd
in reply to: JDMather

That appears to be for assemblies? This is a PART and not in an assembly.
Message 4 of 7
wimann

I mean... I feel like there are a couple of approaches. I don't do this very often so I haven't yet found the "best" way for me. You could maybe place a workpoint on the face before the cut then project that point into your .idw and use it to fully constrain a sketch? There aren't many ways to show a part pre-cut and cut in the same view with the same part. You could derive it to show before and after. You could just sketch the profile that is to be cut away (not really the best unless you have some sort of reference like the workpoint I mentioned before).

Any of this help? Other questions? Perhaps pertaining to the things I've just mentioned?

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 5 of 7

Placing the stock bar part into an assy and converting the assy to a Weldment gives you extra functionailty when it comes to the drawing (machining). You don't have to place any welds. Probably not the overlay dotted line you're after but maybe useable.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 6 of 7
SBix26

I use multi-body solids to do this.  In the attached example I modeled the as-received part (vendor does not have models available), then split it into two solids.  In the drawing, I placed views of the part, then selected the "removed" solid in each view and changed linestyle to phantom.  Not too difficult, at least in this case.

For the part's use in assemblies, I created a view (named "Trimmed") with the removed solid's visibility turned off, and used this when placing the part.  This is not a perfect solution, though, since I suspect that the invisible solid would still contribute to mass calculations; Make Component might have to be used to derive the remaining solid into its own part.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1 Update 1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 7 of 7
gobluejd
in reply to: SBix26

Exactly what I was looking for!!! Thanks to all that commented.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report