Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show Mirror Image

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
waynefisher
2951 Views, 9 Replies

Show Mirror Image

I design a lot of doors and every once in awhile I need to design a quick one off of an already design opposite hand. There seems to be plenty of room on the form for an extra option check box.. 🙂 Any Autodesk programmers looking for extra work?? Just a thought...Mirror.PNG

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
johnsonshiue
in reply to: waynefisher

Hi! This is a very interesting request to Inventor Drawing. Inventor Drawing is another view of physical geometry on a part or an assembly. To support full associativity, it does not display something does not exist on the physical model.

Did you try mirroring the part or mirroring the assembly and then creating the views?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 10
waynefisher
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Yes that is how I have to do it now. Unfortunately it is very time consuming to redo all the layout details. If I can mirror the parts and assemblies, why can I not mirror the layouts? If I am in a real hurry, I export the idw to dwg and mirror them in Autocad. Is there a better way to handle this in Inventor?

Thanks

Message 4 of 10
johnsonshiue

If associativity is not a concern, for speed actually you can try the following workflow without mirroring the whole assembly. But. you still need to mirror the geometry regardless.

Here is what I would do. You can simply derive the assembly -> check Mirror option and pick a mirror plane from origin planes and select either Composite option or Separate Solids option. Then create a drawing view of the mirrored derive assembly part.

Another way to do it is by purely image mirroring by a image processing software.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 10
rdyson

Could you simply open in Acad and mirror there?

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 10
bobvdd
in reply to: rdyson

Ray, it looks like he wants to accomplish this in Inventor.

If the view of the door is the front view, why not create a back view of the door? Shouldn't that give the mirror image?

Of course you will have to transport the dimensions one by one from the front view view to the back view (with the "Move dimension" command")  and you probably need to change some of the hidden lines to continuous lines as well with the "Select as edges" functionality but at least it allows you to stay in a single environment to produce a drawing of the mirror.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 7 of 10
joal_o

This feature could be implemented exactly as proposed while still maintaining associativity.  We, the users, don't care how hard it would be to program; it would be an AWESOME feature!  Why not mirror the associativity along with the lines?!?  Mirror the view, smarts and all!

Message 8 of 10
joal_o

This would be a great feature!  I work at a machine shop, and we often produce opposite-hand parts.  It is a major PITA to mirror assemblies; it often (usually) doesn't work right, and it creates a hundred new part files, which is a mess for our procedures (these mirrored part files are often bi-axially symmetrical anyway, so the mirrored version is really the same part!).

Message 9 of 10
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: joal_o

Hi joal_o,

It looks like the original conversation in this thread happened before the Inventor Idea Station was around, but at this point you might want to share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 10 of 10
swhite

or do like we do and just show one.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report