Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show Assembly Qty on Part Dwg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
DSNR
1108 Views, 6 Replies

Show Assembly Qty on Part Dwg

All, 

I am having a bit of trouble with my "Parts List". What I want to be able to do is show the top level assembly quantity in my part drawing. From our fabricators point of view it would be eisier if they could open/pick up a part drawing and see the total quantity needed to be produced before looking at any assembly drawings. So they could produce all individual parts then grab what they need to produce sub-assemblies. I would like to do the same for my subassembly "Part list" where I would show the total need to produce my final assembly.

So far I can only show my quantity as 1 in the parts list for a single part or subassembly, or use a static value and add the quantity by hand wich can change throught orur design/re-design process, not to mention be extreamely time consuming.

PLEASE HELP....

If anyone has a suggestion or solution please let me know!!!!

Thank You

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
harco
in reply to: DSNR

Off the top of my head without trying this,I think you should be able to place a part list referencing the assembly where the part is used, in the part drawing.

Therefore you would have the part list for the part giving material spec. sizes and such.

Also you would have a second part list from the assembly where all the rows were hidden except the part in question with quantity column giving quantity required.

This will only work on simple assemblies, where the part is not used in a number of sub assemblies.

Alternatively you use a top level assembly part list as parts only view which will give total quantity wherever the part is used.

Another problem arises where you have cross-over parts used on different machines/products the quantity will likely be wrong in one place unless you have a part list on the part drg for each where-used assembly.

I think it should work for parts but sub assembly quantities do not sum up at the top level in the same way parts only does.

Have a go it might even work.

Message 3 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: harco

see tip#5 (well read them all actually they are great)

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/06/autodesk-inventor-tips-from-around-web.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 7
DSNR
in reply to: harco

The problem is as you said, the single part is used in multiple sub-assemblies (sometimes 30 subassemblies or more). Placeing multiple parts list on a part drawing for each sub-assembly would work, but at the same time be time consuming and confusing to the fabricator.

I tried using the top level assembly part list on the part drawing, but again this is too time consuming since my top level assembly contains over 600 individual parts and over 16000 instances. To place multiple parts list per part would take forever.

What I am looking for is possibly a way to import the quantities into the parts list or the parameters of a part so that it can be reference on the drawing either on the title block or in the parts list somehow!!!

Message 5 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: DSNR

Exactly why EVERY company no matter how big or small should have an ERP system.

You get an order for a product and it creates/releases job orders telling exactly how many parts a fabricator should make are given to him.

Managing production without one is a friggin nightmare and NEVER efficient.

Putting the quantity required for a product on each part drawing is fine ONLY when you make one-off custom products and that part is ONLY used once. Anymore than that a you need a different/better system.

Even a simple database system using excel or access/sql is enough to save HUGE amounts of time in situations like this.

But trying to use Inventor for this is NOT the proper solution.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 7
harco
in reply to: mcgyvr

I agree mcgyvr, ERP does do a good job of controlling production.

Especially when producing varying quantities,when you run top level works order all your numbers are produced automatically.

We run MS AX, maybe not the best for fabrication - I don't know, but it certainly handles a shed load of data.

Only problem is getting everyone with their own agenda to work to the plan and use the system.

DSNR, if you have jobs/products with that number of parts that you produce regularly then ERP is the way to go.

Message 7 of 7
SBix26
in reply to: mcgyvr

Even when you make one-off custom products this is a bad idea (I'm still losing this battle in my office, though).  A drawing is a fabrication document, not a purchasing document.  Even on one-offs, you might need spares of certain parts, or it might be a two-off job.  Quantities go on orders, not on drawings!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report