Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shorten after notch

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Paul-tedecon
452 Views, 2 Replies

shorten after notch

Hello,

As i discovered, frame generator is a very handy tool to make a frame, and to connect beams to each other.

For a customer we need to build a large frame, The outer beams are connected directly to each other. The beams inside the outer frame need to have a gap because of mounting and welding.

What i am looking for is a kind of tool, where i can add a notch, and after the notch, shorten the beam with 1 mm at each side to make a gap, which is needed for welding.

Inventor gives an error if i add first a notch followed by a Lengthen/Shorten command.

Can somebody please help me with a solution to add a notch and a gap of 1 mm to a connecting beam?

Thanks in advance,

Paul van Deursen

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Cadmanto
in reply to: Paul-tedecon

Paul,

The notch should be nothing more then a simple extruded cut.

As far as the gap on the ends of the extruded members, why not adjust the length of the line segment in your skeleton part to show the shortened gap.  This way it will automatically give you the desired gap you need.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: Cadmanto

I read this as the OP wants to have a gap after Notch feature.
Many (most?) of the Frame Generator editing tools include option for adding a Gap.

The offset gap could be added several ways after a Notch feature, but not with the Frame Generator editing tools.

(Extrude-cut, Split, Sculpt, Copy Object, Thicken/Offset, Thicken-cut, Move Face come to mind.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report