Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shock and vibration

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
WILLIAMF
2840 Views, 10 Replies

shock and vibration

Hi all,one of our customers has submitted a spec for operating shock and vibration per mil-std 167 with certain values.

I have Inventor 2014  Pro. Can the stress analysis perform what I need to simulate? Do I need another program?

I will sit down with the engineer in my dept tomorrow, I am a designer and  never worked with this extension of Inventor.

operating shock 100 g, 6mS half sine one shock input in each of three perpendicualr axes,  for a total of six shock inputs.

Just need to know basically if what I have as far as software  can be useful.

Thanks

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Product Design Suite 2019 Ultimate
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
QuasiMojo
in reply to: WILLIAMF

You need another software package to do this.  Inventor can do quasi-static stress analysis and modal analysis; you can get the steady-state loads and the resonances but you need the dynamic solution.  The industy standard for what you want is LS-DYNA.  Other major finite element packages (e.g., ANSYS) can do this, too.

Message 3 of 11
CCarreiras

Hi!

If you want to use Autodesk Software, you can also use "Mechanical Simulation" for non-linear analysis.

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 4 of 11
WILLIAMF
in reply to: CCarreiras

I see there is a dynamic simulation tab in environments that allows the settings to be saved to ansys as atext file or AIP sress analysis.

Maybe this can be useful. I never used it so I will need to learn.

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 5 of 11
QuasiMojo

Hi, I don't believe the dynamic simulation can do the kind of analysis you need.  I believe its main purpose is to analyze machines; shock is really a class in itself. Just to experiment I made a basic assembly of a lead ball hovering over a steel plate.  Going into the dynamic simulation environment gives you the ability to drop it with gravity but I cannot find a way to prescribe velocity or acceleration.  I don't know if you can parameterize the force to be proportional with position and get the vel. or accel. that way.  Instead, I RMB'd on external loads / gravity --> "define gravity" made it 100g's downward.  This is still a far cry from what you need to do to meet the letter of the spec.  The internal FEA environment can only do static stresses and modal. 

I would suggest you contract this out if you are new to this and are obligated to deliver the analysis.

Message 6 of 11
WILLIAMF

Thanks for doing all of that work. I appreciate your time and energy and will heed your advise. From what I have been doing it appears you are correct with only static abilities.

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 7 of 11
4donwan4

I am just stating that the users posts above are correct. You would need to look at the simulation software. See link for some possible information.

Autodesk Simulation

Regards,

Don

Message 8 of 11
WILLIAMF

ok thanks

We are looking into it

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 9 of 11
Vikas.Patel

Hi,

I think you need to go with Response spectrum analysis. 

If your equipment is naval use then you may us DDAM analysis which has in built shock spectra as per us military standards.

In order to do any of those analysis, you must need to do natural frequency (Model) analysis.

You can go with Autodesk simulation mechanical package with has all required modules for such a analysis.

Regards and All the best,

Vikas Patel

(MSc. Product developer) 

Message 10 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: Vikas.Patel

@Vikas.Patel wrote:

Hi,

I think you need to go with Response spectrum analysis.  

@Vikas.Patel

This thread is 2 yrs old.

I suspect their lead time was a bit less than 2 yrs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
Vikas.Patel
in reply to: JDMather

It may help others who are searching for same question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report