Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shell with 2 different thicknesses

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mslosar
1048 Views, 10 Replies

Shell with 2 different thicknesses

I can make a shell with 2 different thicknesses, but is there a way to get it to transition between the thicknesses instead of a hard cut?

Esseentially i have a cylindrical body that will need to bet 1/2" thick with 8 arms around it. The arms need to be 1/4" thick. If i do this I get a pair of hard cuts. Basicaly, it's a 1/2" thick and where it switches it stops right there,cuts straight back 90 degree out to the 1/4" size and keeps going making two right angle turns.

I'd rather that it simply transition from one to the other, like a diagonal line and not an abrupt hard cut. Is this possible with 2013?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: mslosar

Attach your *.ipt file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! Like JD said, it is better to attach the model or an image to help the discussion. If I understand your request correctly, I don't think Inventor can create "diagonal" transition between two different offset faces within Shell command. But, I think you can add a chamfer there, right? Would it work for your case?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 11
blair
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Or at least a picture/drawing of what you are trying to accomplish.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 11
mslosar
in reply to: blair

This is a sample piece that gets the same result. You can see the hard cuts where the shell thickness changes from .25 to .5. Looking for a way that will smooth that out.

Message 6 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! I still don't see the attachment. Please reattach it. Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 11
mrattray

This sounds like a case of too much work.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 11
mslosar
in reply to: mrattray

Take 2

Message 9 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! I took a look at the part. I think you might be better off creating the fillet after the shell instead of before. Try suppressing Fillet1. Does the shell look OK (without the round)? You can add the fillet after the shell.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 11
JDMather

I am having trouble understanding how you want the transisition, but here is one example.

Ahh, I just experimented with Johnson's suggestion and that looks like the way to go.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
mslosar
in reply to: JDMather

I do have a solution where I did all my filleting after the fact and got a hopefully good result. Our manufacturer has apparently changed the part a bit of the years and it is clearly not what is in our standard drawing (and that's another issue altogether) so we have to guess at a lot of fillet sizes. But the way you guys describe is basically what I woulnd up using to finish it off.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report