Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shell Mirroring in Inventor2013

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ThinAirDesigns
440 Views, 5 Replies

Shell Mirroring in Inventor2013

Hi There.  As a relative noob (have used Vectorworks for years) I was running through the excellent 24 sample parts by Curtis Waguespack.  I made it to the Flanged 90 Elbow and using his hint "Create one half and then mirror it" I went forward on that basis.  After struggling with attempting to mirror the completed half with no success, I searched this forum with no definitive answer.

I have attached a file that is pretty much the simplest version of the problem I could imagine -- a simple extruded circle, shelled and 'mirrored'.  You can see that the extrusion is mirrored, but not hollowed.  During the mirror procedure, when attempting to select the shell feature, the "Shell 1" entry in the browser simple ignores the click, and when selecting the part from the canvas, only the exterior lines are highlighted and the interior lines are not selectable.

Suggestions?   Is the definitive answer that in Inventtor 2013 shells simply can't be mirrored, or is this a settings issue or user error.

Thank.
JB

Inventor 2013
Windows 7
Recent Thinkpad
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
blair
in reply to: ThinAirDesigns

Not in 2015 either. Most likely has to do with the ability to exclude faces and such.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: ThinAirDesigns

My guess is that the instructions indicate to Mirror Solid Body rather than Features.

Mirror Solid.png

Attach the actual part here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 6
ThinAirDesigns
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JDMather -- SO AWESOME to have such relevent help.  Worked perfectly.

JB

Inventor 2013
Windows 7
Recent Thinkpad
Message 5 of 6

Hi, I see this particular problem is solved, but I was wondering where I could find the "excellect 24 sample parts by Curtis Waguespack" that ThinAirDesigns refers to?  I am using 2014 though, but I imagine it would still work on this edition as a good tutorial.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 6

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report