Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shell issue

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
499 Views, 8 Replies

shell issue

This shape will not shell out with  a 3mm thickness.....i suspect i may have not modelled correctly....how would you model this shape part so as it can be shelled out?

The shape is correct and i used Loft feature

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

If you roll the EOP back the Loft - it does not shell there, even at a very thin wall thickness.

I am going to recommend that you Extrude Sketch2 and loft between the ...  never mind, I see the problem.  Back in a while....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
JDMather

OK,

I have some time to work on this, but you left out some critical information.

First of all, what version of Inventor are you using (I know, but I want you to tell me)?

Second, you did not indicate what faces you want shelled, but based on experience I suspect you have already created geometry that you do not intend to shell.  Shell is global - it effects the entire part.  Sometimes you can get around this by expanding the Shell dialog box and using multiple wall thicknesses, but in this case.....

Are you intending to shell only the faces I've highlighted in red in attached image?

Shell.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

JD,

Thanks

Have both INV 2013 & INV 2014 available

Yes i would like it shelled out as the Faces you highlighted

There is a picture attached of what i was trying to achieve

Thank you 

Message 5 of 9
JDMather

You will need to complete the Shell feature before adding that rectangular mounting flange. (it appears to me that you will need to do only one side, shell, mirror and then add the flange.  But I'm not entirely sure of how I would go about it as I can't see the fillets on the "top" side. 

Can you post a picture of the other side of that part as well?

Would really help if you had a picture of one cut in half too.  (but that is of lessor importance than seeing the "top")

From the part picture - it does not appear that the two shell channels intersect each other, that is, any fluid moving through those would be completely separate until they reach the mounting flange - correct?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I have a 1/2 cut side view of the shape...does this help

Thanks

Message 7 of 9
JDMather

That helps a lot (even though that one looks like a 4 or 5 part assembly).

Can you turn over the part you took picture of and post another picture?

I will be busy from now until after the 1st of the year (and this one is going to take a lot of work to solve) so hopefully someone else can jump in here and offer possible solutions.

Message 8 of 9
rdyson

I'm not sure of your design intent but I don't think shell will give you a manufacturable part. You might consider something like the attached. 

PDSU 2016
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks rdyson..that gives me something to work with

JD i have attached the picture of the back as you suggested

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report