Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shell Connector Tolerance

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
CAD-One
2552 Views, 2 Replies

Shell Connector Tolerance

Whats the imporatnce of "Shell Connector Tolerance"in the create new simulation dialog box. I tried to read the help. It would have been nice if it used an example or some kind of illustration to explain this. Can some here throw some light on the importance of this.

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
henderh
in reply to: CAD-One

Hi Cad-One,

If a Midsurface shell is made using solid geometry that doesn't have a constant thickness, "gaps" will exist where the non-constant thickness geometry occurs.  If the gap is relatively small, a connector will be made to bond the midsurface together.  If the gap is relatively large, a connector will not be made.  What determines the size of gap allowed for a connector is the shell connector tolerance.  Connectors are created by running the automatic contacts command.

For a simple example, I have two bodies that contain an non-constant thickness portion of geometry.  The constant thickness portion is 1mm:

Shells_solid_geometry_setup.png

The default shell connector tolerance is 1.75x the shell thickness.  This means if a gap is smaller than 1.75x1mm, a connector will be created.  A gap that is larger than 1.75mm will omit a connector:

Shell_gap_measured.png

shell_only_one_created.png

Hope this helps!

Regards,

-Hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 3 of 3
CAD-One
in reply to: henderh

Thanks for taking time to explain.

To begin with I did not understand why would inventor do a mid-surface in first place. Even if it did, I dont think there will be a gap like you have illustrated because, the round solid boss would also contribute to the mid surace shell and there would ne a small ribbon in that place too.

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report