Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheetmetal Flat pattern to 3d

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
mrjackg
1033 Views, 16 Replies

Sheetmetal Flat pattern to 3d

Hi,

I am trying to create a 3d model from an existing flat pattern of a Sheetmetal shape. I have tried by folding on the bend lines etc.  I cannot seem to get it to work and was wondering if others could advise on if it is possible.

The shape is a square to round breech only a half flat pattern of one end see the attached ipt file of what I have so far.  I want to bend the sheet on the sketch lines but I keep getting errors.

Any help is much appreciated.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: mrjackg

It is almost always better to model the finished form and let Inventor generate your flat pattern.

What are the end-goal dimensions?

Use Lofted Flange.

I did not see any dimensions on your sketch?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 17
mrjackg
in reply to: JDMather

Hi Jd,

Thanks for reply. The dimensions aren't all that important as I have created the flat pattern geometrically as per the attached. I am trying to demonstrate the end product of this development as a training aid. I wonder if the triangulation will come out same if produced from 3d.
Message 4 of 17
mrjackg

I have tried to model the required shape but am having trouble with the transition.  If someone could please have a look and suggest a solution I would appreciate your help.

See the attached ipt file for my attempt.

Jack

Message 5 of 17
johnsonshiue

Hi! In end of the modeling, do you expect each lofted flange to be a separate sheet metal part? Or, you want them to be flattened as one sheet?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 17
mrjackg
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi,

Separate pieces would be best thanks!!

Regards,

Jack
----------------------------------------------

NOTICE - This message is confidential, and may contain proprietary or legally privileged information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete it immediately. Under no circumstances does Chisholm Institute accept liability for any loss or damage which may result from your receipt of this message or any attachments.
Message 7 of 17
CCarreiras
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi!

Since there's several parts, you have to use the sheet metal ipt to design each part ant later you can mount them in one assembly.iam.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 8 of 17
mrjackg
in reply to: CCarreiras

I understand what you mean, however the way ive done it, it shouldnt matter.  I am looking for a solution for the breech section.

Any suggestions would be great.

Jack

Message 9 of 17
CCarreiras

Hi!

Yes, it matters, because you can't have multi solid in Sheet Metal, therefore you can only have one part to be able achieve the flat pattern.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 10 of 17
mrjackg
in reply to: CCarreiras

Hi Carlos,

I understand what you are saying.  I guess I didnt explain clearly.  I am not fussed about the branch pipes, im only trying to get the breech part developed, even just one of them(even a half section only).  I cant seem to get the loft to happen.  From what I have researched I believe thats its due to the spline shape that I am trying to loft to.

As I understand the sheetmetal loft tool cant loft to 3d sketches or splines.  I belive this is the issue but I am not sure...  thanks for your time.

If anyone can advise or confirm?

Jack

Message 11 of 17
JDMather

I think your original art might be flawed.

Can you model as solid model (forget wall thickness and sheet metal for now).

I can see two different solutions - and I am not sure which one you are after. 

A solid model will clear that up for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 12 of 17
mrjackg

Hi JD,

Thanks for the reply,

I cant seem to get the solid loft either.  I have attached my attemp to show the shape that I am after.  I think this should clarify what im after.

Please let me know if not clear.

Jack

Message 13 of 17
mrjackg

I managed to model the solid.

See attached.

Jack

Message 14 of 17
JDMather

This end would not be circular.

Not Circular.PNG

A cylinder cut at an angle is not a circle.

Message 15 of 17
mrjackg

Yes, thanks I didnt catch that.  Attached is the fixed solid model.  

Message 16 of 17
mrjackg

I still cannot produce a sheetmetal loft for the geometry.  Does anyone know why?  Is it the spline shape?  I am lost.

Message 17 of 17
IgorMir

Hi,

Attached is my attempt to model the transition piece. I can not open your file, so I have based my design on the picture you have provided earlier. The model still need some work on it to get the flat pattern correct, but it should give you some ideas, I hope.

Cheers,

Igor.

@mrjackg wrote:

I still cannot produce a sheetmetal loft for the geometry.  Does anyone know why?  Is it the spline shape?  I am lost.

Web: www.meqc.com.au

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report