Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheetmetal contour roll flat pattern

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
kenbig
2067 Views, 4 Replies

Sheetmetal contour roll flat pattern

Inventor 2013-I'm working on a sheet metal cover using contour roll and I find when I dimension the flat pattern that radii that should be the same are not. Can someone tell me if my approach is fundamentally flawed? I  tried making this part out of one 220 degree contour roll and I found when dimensioning that the center points of the arcs are not symmetric as expected. I then used two contour rolls to create the part basing the second contour roll on the first contour roll sketches and I still have the same issues. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: kenbig

You most likely need to read up on Bend Allowance Factor. This will vary according to the type of bending procedure used. The Flat-Layout length is determined by the neutral axis through the material. Not quite the center line of the product.

The attached spread sheet might help you out.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
TheCADWhisperer

Check this example.

Message 4 of 5
kenbig

thank you for you quick reply, I took a look at the spread sheet and  it looks like I have a lot to understand in order to properly apply all possible variables to my project. In the mean time while I try to figure this all out and understand the spread sheet, does it make sense that these variables create the problems in symmetry that I see in the flat pattern dimensions?

Message 5 of 5
kenbig
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

thank you for you quick reply and example, your solution sure is elegant compared to my attempt. now I have to go back and see if it fits my mating part and if I can create the remaining parts to the cover in a similar fashion, thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report