Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sheet metal??

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
jasonraul
823 Views, 10 Replies

sheet metal??

Hello,

I`m looking for some support on how best to model a Electrical cabinet.Is this best made by using sheet metal tools?

Cheers

Jason

inventor 2013

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
trumpy81
in reply to: jasonraul

I would say yes to using sheetmetal for this particular project. Don't forget to setup the default materail and size before you start modelling.

If you need help using the sheetmetal environment, just holler, there are a lot of knowledgable folks here that are only too happy to help.

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 3 of 11
mcgyvr

Yes you would use the "sheet metal" environment to model "sheet metal" parts. Then combine them in an assembly to create the cabinet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 11
jasonraul
in reply to: mcgyvr

I have made a start in sheetmetal so please let me know if i go wrong way about doing this.I start first with the cabinet.Not sure about the outcome of the corners though.Pls see attachment

Jason

Message 5 of 11
jasonraul

Have i used the correct sheet metal tools for this part.The bends of the metal is the shape i want but it does not look neat or finished properly.

How can i fill in the gaps.Either fill in or weld?

Cheers

Jason

Message 6 of 11
jasonraul

tried the Contour Flange this time..i think it is maybe better then the last effort i posted..what do i need to do to get this looking right?

Jason

Message 7 of 11
trumpy81

Jason, it seems like you're getting the hang of the sheetmetal tools.

I would suggest that you model the cabinet, top, bottom and sides first and use a method such as welding or spot welding for attaching the back of the cabinet, which is probably how this part would be made in the real world. This way you won't have the open corners to deal with.

Try to make a double folded joint at the bottom center of the part which again, would probably reflect real world building of the cabinet. (Hint: the Hem tool will help with that)

Best of luck to you with your project! 🙂

Regards
Andy M
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 8 of 11
mrattray
in reply to: trumpy81

Not a bad start. I played around with it a bit during lunch. Here's a tweaked version. Like Trumpy said, this would be expensive to make out of one piece in the real world. It would actually be made out of several pieces stitch welded together. Although your use of the flange feature was appropriate here, it's common for new users of sheetmetal tools to overuse it. Notice how I was able to make your hems much cleaner by using the hem feature instead of multiple flanges.

The contour flange tool is easily the most useful and robust of the sheetmetal tools (IMO), I would recommend you familiarize yourself with that for your next project.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 11
jasonraul
in reply to: mrattray

Hi to Trumpy81 & Mrattray,

I thank you both for the help you gave me.All points taken

Jason

Message 10 of 11
jasonraul

I will ask again a question please...how do i go about welding up the seams.Can all the seams from your model be welded up?

Cheers

Jason

Message 11 of 11
trumpy81

There are a number of ways you can do it. In the real world the back of the cabinet for example, would most likely be spot welded, either automatically on a suitable machine or by hand using a portable welder.

There are other ways too of course, seam welding (a type of induction welding), pop rivetting, self-tapping screws and nuts and bolts, all of which are valid ways of doing it. You can also use a technique called lock seaming where double folded edges are forced together or locked into place.

If you are unsure about any of the techniques I have mentioned, you can use Google to search for those techniques so that you can get a better understanding of the methods, machines and tools needed to use them.

The question is, what way do you wish to have the back attached?

What way would be the most practical method for your shop or factory, given the tools that are available to you?

These are considerations when manufacturing something that must be addressed. It would be nice to be able to snap ones fingers and have a part magically appear, but in reality, there are many obstacles to overcome.

When you have decided which way you would like to make/assemble your part, then we can better guide you in modelling the part.

Regards
Andy M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums