Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sheet metal

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
243 Views, 4 Replies

sheet metal

Is there a way to preload informationinto Inventor in reguards to the break press such as the dies being used or the ones available so the when the computer is deciding a bending radius,it know what tool we have?  Currently the bend radius is set to "radius", which i am assuming is default, but I can't figure out how to change that either, and depending on the thickness it will change,but like today it said I would need a 1/16th inch radius, but we dont have a 1/16th inch die,it is an 85 degree air bending setup,and has a 4 way die with smaller and bigger openings.  Excuse me for not using the correct tooling termonology for all the tooling guys out their.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mrattray
in reply to: Anonymous

I personally find Inventor's settings for these sort of things so cumbersome, that I wrote iLogic code into my template files with a dialog box that pops up when a part is created asking for material type and thickness.  My code then sets all of the options appropriately to match our tooling as well as setting certain properties like raw material part numbers.

Here's my sheetmetal template attahced. You'll obviously have to design your own, if you choose to go this route, to suit your needs.

Your other option is to set up a list of sheetmetal styles in the style editor where you can define certain radiuses for certain thickness, etc. But I find this cumbersome, limited, and difficult to update.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: Anonymous

Unless you have a huge list of tools and materials, I think styles (Sheet Metal Rules) would work just fine.  A sheet metal rule includes a lot of different parameters, so could be really tailored to each tool.  Then you just select from the list when you start a new part.

Message 4 of 5
drlamb
in reply to: SBix26

I have to agree with Sam. I work for a sheet metal company and the sheet metal rules give me the flexibility and precision that we require. Just my opinion and maybe the fact that I've been using it since release 7 so I learned it that way.

Donald L.

Inventor Product Design Suite 2016
Windows 7 Professional - 64 bit
HP h8-1380t - i7-3820 @ 3.6 GHz
16 Gb
AMD Radeon HD7950 3Gb
Message 5 of 5
mrattray
in reply to: drlamb

I have no problem believing that it works just fine for most people. It just doesn't work for me. There's too many variables involved at my company.  It would take 40+ rules for me to set up just the common materials (I tried it). If sheet metal rules will work for you then use them, I just thought I would show an alternate approach.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report