Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal width precision

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Arnold82
869 Views, 2 Replies

Sheet metal width precision

Hello,

When referring to flat pattern length and width you can make an custom iproperty and add =<Sheet Metal Width>.

You can then add 2 fields in the drawing parts list and set precision, trailing zeroes and unit string on/off.

Most companies have 1 field for 'Size' or put size inside description and then you cannot format

The problem is that if you fill in description: =Sheet <Thickness>mm, <Sheet Metal Width>x<Sheet Metal Length> you get the following:

Description: Sheet 15mm, 3411,978 mm x 2000,000 mm

i Want to have Description: Sheet 15mm, 3412x2000

You can't change property format as you can with user parameters you set to export as far as I know

Is there a way? excluding iLogic, which would only be a half baked solution.

I would really like to have width and length as a sheet metal parameter, rather than a iproperties formula.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pcrawley
in reply to: Arnold82

Why would an iLogic solution only be half baked?  You can do some good, sensible, fully baked things with iLogic - like warning you if your design exceeds a sheet size.  

Anyway... I've seen someone create a sketch of the projected flat pattern as the very last feature on a sheet metal part.  They added a couple of driven dimensions to the overall length and width - and there are your parameters.

Peter
Message 3 of 3
Arnold82
in reply to: Arnold82

iLogic isn't half baked... I use it a lot.

I used a sketch now too, but this is not ideal. If the sheet gets fillets or the side edges are angled, your dimensions give wrong results, Its not a very accessible parameter and you can name a parameter in the folded model that already exist in the flat pattern.

I guess I'm just not really happy that a method is implemented to get flatpattern size but you can't format it to remove trailing zeries etc which makes it useless unless your company uses a separate length and width column in your partslist, You only see that with companies that work a lot with sheetmetal and those companies are actually kinda forced to do so.

With that said, come to think of it, this topic should be on the IdeaStation forum

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report