Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal text on 2012

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
robbieg
520 Views, 6 Replies

Sheet metal text on 2012

Have any improvements been made to 2012 allowing plain text to be exported on flat profiles as dxf files? Currently the only method I can use is manually adding text to the dxfs but i'm hoping there is a more efficient way. Thanks

Inventor 2013 SP1
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: robbieg

Nothing new that I know of but..you can extrude text into a sheet metal part and it will be part of the flat pattern (just did it with 2011) but its the outline of the text..But won't that work anyways. Or do you just need the centerline of the text profile as a single line only.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
robbieg
in reply to: mcgyvr

Its the centre line of the text that I require. We use an etching tool for text but cannot use this with the block text that you get from extruding into the part. Any ideas?

Inventor 2013 SP1
Message 4 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: robbieg

@robbieg wrote:

. Any ideas?

Yep..manually add it to the dxf Smiley Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 7

You can right click a 2D sketch and select "copy to flat pattern".  It is an option in v2011.  Not sure if a single line text font is available within Inventor.

Stephen R.

Message 6 of 7

@stephenrottloff7259 wrote:

You can right click a 2D sketch and select "copy to flat pattern".  It is an option in v2011.  Not sure if a single line text font is available within Inventor.

Stephen R.

sadly it doesn't seem to work. when the exported dxf flat pattern is opened in autocad all you see is the bounding box for the text but the text doesn't come across..

Message 7 of 7

Using the extrude text into the sheet metal part trick was not acceptable because it created thousands of tiny line segments.

What I did is create a simplified text font in Autocad, basically tracing the Arial font.  It took a little bit of time to do but then it needs to be done only once.  This is what I use in Autocad to build part numbers or text to be included with a flat pattern sketch.  I place the characters as I need them, clipboard copy them, then paste into the 2D sketch within Inventor.

I am guessing that windows fonts used within the 2D sketch are not supported to transfer to the flat pattern because they are not vector based.

Hope this helps.

Stephen R.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report