Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Sizes

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
SeanFarr
10428 Views, 12 Replies

Sheet Metal Sizes

I am creating a new sheet metal template and am looking for a reliable source to use as a reference. (I don't have any books or charts) and there is lots of varience in search results from google.

Looking to create a library of inches, mm and gauge

Any one have a specific website or possibly just post a screen shot of there sheet metal rules?

Thanks!

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: SeanFarr

I just create it from available sheet thicknesses at mcmaster.com

OR

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/sheetmetal.html

OR

http://www.sheetmetalguy.com/sheet_metal_gauge_chart.htm

OR

http://www.custompartnet.com/sheet-metal-gauge

and on and on....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 13
SeanFarr
in reply to: mcgyvr

I know, I know, there is millions of references out there,

but here is 2 that I would have considered using and are different than the ones you have listed.

Look at gauge 3 on these 2 examples, they say it is equal to 0.25 inches

guage1.png

guage2.png

where your examples that you have posted say the gauge 3 = 0.2391

do these values change from country to country, I figured they would stay the same and be adjusted by a conversion??

Thanks!

Sean Farr

Message 4 of 13
mrattray

I would refer to a machinist's handbook, myself.

I've never heard anyone actually use a sheet gauge larger than 7. Usually you switch to fractional sizes once you get that thick.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 13
SeanFarr
in reply to: mrattray

Yes, the Machinist Handbook, it is one of the many items on my wishlist here at work. I have list here that is larger than any Christmas list I had growing up!! Slowly but surely, I am setting up an ideal department here.

I agree, gauge is not a term that we use a lot here, typical sizes are 10,11,12 but even those are different then the references that mcgyvr posted above..

I will just use one of those he posted for now and if there is any discrepancies, I will deal with it later.

Thanks!!

Sean Farr

Message 6 of 13
mrattray

This is my reference chart, in case it helps:

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 13
rjay75

I've typically used the Central Steel and Wire catalog for gauges up to 7 ga. As stated early typically after that material comes in fractionally measured plate. I've never had an issue with material thicknesses using that.

Another option may also be asking your steel supplier for a references.

As for bend allowances that can vary greatly from company to company depending on die sizes, tolerances, etc. If your company has break presses there I would just ask the operator what bend allowances they use. Every shop I've been in has had they're own method of calculating allowances that work for them. If your company is not forming the material then just use Inventor's calculated value for bend allowances as most places will relayout flat patterns to work with there equipment.

Message 8 of 13
john.gusic

Ryerson is a good resourse too, and our "bible" for a quick refernce to material.  Their books carry just about everything from plate, sheets, tubes, structural etc.

BTW, gauge sizes vary according to material too.  But I should say a previous poster listed 7 ga as having a thickness of .188 which is incorrect.

7 Gauge steel, ASTM A569 is .1793" thick, not .188".  3/16th material is .188 thick.  So there is a differnce.  As stated before, 3/16ths and larger are called out per fraction.  Under 3/16ths are typically called out in gauge sizes.

Again, depending upon using steel, or galvannealed steel, the gauge sizes differ due to the coating applied to galvannealed steel.  This would also apply to stainless sheets.  The gauges vary between all of the materials.

john

Message 9 of 13
RobJV
in reply to: john.gusic

We use the gage charts from our steel and aluminum suppliers.  I think some of you may be mixed up though.  Wire gage and sheetmetal gages are different and are different for each type of metal.  Gage is based on weight.

Example: 10ga steel is a different thickness than 10ga aluminum and is a different thickness than 10ga satin coat steel and 10ga stainless steel and 10ga galvanized steel.

Rob

Message 10 of 13
swhite

Some references merely round to the nearest 1/16" like guage 3 is .2391 which some list as .25 simply for convienence.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 11 of 13
SeanFarr
in reply to: swhite

I managed to get this from Machinery Handbook 27th edition.

It the sheet metal gages, for steel, galvanized and zinc (which is tin??)

I am going to use this as a reference for setting up my sheet metal rules.

One quick stupid question though, does anyone ever use metric sheet metal?or is it always gage or imperial?

Thanks!

Sean Farr

Message 12 of 13
rjay75

If you are actually using metric measured material I would set up metric styles too. Its not readily available but there is metric sizes that can be found. We usually have the customer agree to use the nearest imperial size. Gage here always refers to the imperial measurement.
Message 13 of 13
mrattray
in reply to: john.gusic

@john.gusic wrote:

Ryerson is a good resourse too, and our "bible" for a quick refernce to material.  Their books carry just about everything from plate, sheets, tubes, structural etc.

BTW, gauge sizes vary according to material too.  But I should say a previous poster listed 7 ga as having a thickness of .188 which is incorrect.

7 Gauge steel, ASTM A569 is .1793" thick, not .188".  3/16th material is .188 thick.  So there is a differnce.  As stated before, 3/16ths and larger are called out per fraction.  Under 3/16ths are typically called out in gauge sizes.

Again, depending upon using steel, or galvannealed steel, the gauge sizes differ due to the coating applied to galvannealed steel.  This would also apply to stainless sheets.  The gauges vary between all of the materials.

john

The chart I posted was based on stainless, as that's what 90% of our work here is. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report