Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sheet metal shell

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
James__S
714 Views, 7 Replies

sheet metal shell

I make the part using sheet metal tools.Underneath the part i used solid model tools.Is there any issues with using both Sheet Metal tools and Solid Model Tools in the same part?

The next question is can the shapes made with Extrusion 2 be made from Sheet Metal Tools.I used Sheet Metal Loft but not sure it was correct so used Extrusion instead

Can Extrusion 2 be shelled out with 3mm thickness if solid model option used?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: James__S

I think I would use the Punch tool to create those additional features.  (unless you aren't worried about getting Flat Pattern)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
James__S
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks

No not worried about flat pattern...what would you do if not using flat pattern

How would you use the punch tool.Would i need to make custom punch for those sizes and would you place the centre point in the curve shape?

That is interesting as never thought of the punch tool

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

I think creating a Punch for this would be overkill unless you would re-use it over and over again.

I have other work to do, but I will try to come back to this later today if you don't get some good results.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 8
James__S

Thanks

Do you haveor see any issues with using both Solid Modelling Technique and Sheet Metal Tools in the same part.Use both techniques to create a part.

I could get the shape with Extrusion 2 but not with Shett Metal Tools

Thanks again

Message 6 of 8
blair

A while back I did see an issue when using the either the Hole or Cut command. One of the Solid features didn't translate through to the Flat Pattern. It was a few releases ago but it did happen. ADSK recommended to use the Solid tools for Solid parts and use the Sheet-Metal Tools for Sheet-Metal parts. Maybe now it's been corrected but after spending a couple of days making corrections I don't cross the two.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 8
James__S
in reply to: blair

Hi Blair

Thank you

If i choose sheet metal how would i get the same affect as Extrusion 2 (solid modelling) using sheet metal tools?

James

Message 8 of 8
blair

As JD posted, I would use the Punch Tool, or create a IAM and add these parts (features) as separate parts. Doing it this way won't allow the item to "Flatten" as the thickness is not uniform, which is the only reason that you would use the Sheet-Metal module.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report