Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal "Folding"

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
J0mppe
2015 Views, 13 Replies

Sheet Metal "Folding"

We have many old sheet metal parts that are designed in Autocad environment and of course they are in 2D .dwg format. Sometimes it's necessary to get those parts in Inventor and "convert" them to 3D, but sometimes Inventor's "Fold" function isn't working like it suppose to work. 

So all I'm trying to do is that first I'll import the flat pattern .dwg file to sketch,

then define the thickness of a part and lastly trying to bend the part with "Fold" function. Sounds easy, but it isn't allways.

Especially sometimes Inventor wants to fold whole flange although there is a relief cut drawn. There is a one example in attachment when it happens. So is it possible to define the folding distance like in "Flange" function?

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: J0mppe

I recommend that making the transistion you start from scratch and model as-folded rather than folding the flats up.

Generally it is the finished dimension size that is critical, known parameters, the flat should be generated from the finished part.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
mrattray
in reply to: JDMather

I agree 100% with JD. I spend a lot of time doing this at my current position and it makes for a much more stable, editable, and accurate model if you just start from scratch and do it the right way.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 14
J0mppe

Of course I understand that if I'm designing a new parts and products, but this time it will take too much "extra time" if I must start over. Those 2D drawings are designed long time ago and many pieces have already been manufactured, so the drawings are OK. It would be much easier if I'll just import the flat pattern to Inventor and then Fold it.

Message 5 of 14
JDMather

@Joni.uusimaki wrote:

... it will take too much "extra time" if I must start over. ... It would be much easier if I'll just import the flat pattern to Inventor and then Fold it.

You will have to change your mindset.  I'm telling you it is faster AND will prove to be more correct to model from scratch as folded.

...and you have already indicated that it will be easier - because based on your question you can't fold the parts up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
jfleeger

I have add another voice of agreement with JD, he is so right on this issue. 

We still still use many of our autocad drawings, our policy is that if we revise one of these prints, we need to create a model and revise it in Inventor. The engineer before me folded all of these as you wish to do.  I cannot tell you how many of these parts I have had to re-model to make further changes.  You may think you are going to save yourself a few seconds by folding, but do yourself and those comming after you a favor and "do it right".

Message 7 of 14
jasonvb1988

I agree with your statement, but how do you create the flat pattern from the finished part in 2D AutoCAD?

Message 8 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: jasonvb1988

@jasonvb1988 wrote:

I agree with your statement, but how do you create the flat pattern from the finished part in 2D AutoCAD?

Manually.. Autocad doesn't product flat patterns automatically... Inventor does though Smiley Wink

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 14
jasonvb1988
in reply to: mcgyvr

Dang, I was hoping that there was a way to do it in 2D AutoCAD. I know about
inventor, but thanks for your input! J
Message 10 of 14
JDMather

@jasonvb1988 wrote:

Is your question really, "How do I get the Flat Pattern created automatically by Inventor into 2D AutoCAD?"

If that is really your question, the answer is to right click on the Flat Pattern node or on the face of the Flat Pattern (different options depending on which of these techniques you use) to get the geometry into AutoCAD format.

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
jasonvb1988

No, that is not my question, because i know how to use Inventor better than 2D AutoCAD. My questions is exactly as i asked it. I know it might sound like a stupid questions, but i really think that there is a way to get 2D AutoCAD to give you a flat pattern from a finished part.

Message 12 of 14
jasonvb1988

No, that is not my question, because I know how to use Inventor better than
2D AutoCAD. My questions is exactly as I asked it. I know it might sound
like a stupid questions, but I really think that there is a way to get 2D
AutoCAD to give you a flat pattern from a finished part
Message 13 of 14
JDMather

Not OOTB.

AutoCAD does not have that functionality.

I have seen various attempts at add-ins (not free) to AutoCAD to do the job, but I have never tried them out.

I think Fusion 360 is supposed to have this functionality in the near future (I am guessing next week).

Fusion is an inexpensive MCAD software.

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
jasonvb1988

Alright, thanks for your help all

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report