Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
J0mppe
Message 1 of 6 (931 Views)

Sheet Metal "Folding"

931 Views, 5 Replies
04-18-2012 06:43 AM

We have many old sheet metal parts that are designed in Autocad environment and of course they are in 2D .dwg format. Sometimes it's necessary to get those parts in Inventor and "convert" them to 3D, but sometimes Inventor's "Fold" function isn't working like it suppose to work. 

So all I'm trying to do is that first I'll import the flat pattern .dwg file to sketch,

then define the thickness of a part and lastly trying to bend the part with "Fold" function. Sounds easy, but it isn't allways.

Especially sometimes Inventor wants to fold whole flange although there is a relief cut drawn. There is a one example in attachment when it happens. So is it possible to define the folding distance like in "Flange" function?

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 6 (928 Views)

Re: Sheet Metal "Folding"

04-18-2012 06:49 AM in reply to: J0mppe

I recommend that making the transistion you start from scratch and model as-folded rather than folding the flats up.

Generally it is the finished dimension size that is critical, known parameters, the flat should be generated from the finished part.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 3 of 6 (924 Views)

04-18-2012 06:54 AM in reply to: JDMather

I agree 100% with JD. I spend a lot of time doing this at my current position and it makes for a much more stable, editable, and accurate model if you just start from scratch and do it the right way.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Contributor
J0mppe
Message 4 of 6 (905 Views)

04-18-2012 08:38 AM in reply to: J0mppe

Of course I understand that if I'm designing a new parts and products, but this time it will take too much "extra time" if I must start over. Those 2D drawings are designed long time ago and many pieces have already been manufactured, so the drawings are OK. It would be much easier if I'll just import the flat pattern to Inventor and then Fold it.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 5 of 6 (900 Views)

04-18-2012 08:42 AM in reply to: J0mppe

joni.uusimaki wrote:

... it will take too much "extra time" if I must start over. ... It would be much easier if I'll just import the flat pattern to Inventor and then Fold it.

You will have to change your mindset.  I'm telling you it is faster AND will prove to be more correct to model from scratch as folded.

...and you have already indicated that it will be easier - because based on your question you can't fold the parts up.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Contributor
jfleeger
Message 6 of 6 (881 Views)

04-18-2012 10:45 AM in reply to: J0mppe

I have add another voice of agreement with JD, he is so right on this issue. 

We still still use many of our autocad drawings, our policy is that if we revise one of these prints, we need to create a model and revise it in Inventor. The engineer before me folded all of these as you wish to do.  I cannot tell you how many of these parts I have had to re-model to make further changes.  You may think you are going to save yourself a few seconds by folding, but do yourself and those comming after you a favor and "do it right".

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.