Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal - Problem facing projected geometry

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
jhoover11
484 Views, 1 Reply

Sheet metal - Problem facing projected geometry

When I try to face projected geometry, it displays the part correctly, but when 'apply' or 'ok' are selected, inventor states that there is an issue and the function fails.

I managed to get it to work by turning the projected geometry into construction lines and tracing over. However, this is tedious and I'm sure there is a better way. I also tried to extrude the projection, and though that worked, flanges could not be added to the extrusion. 

Using Inventor 2013 Pro

File description:

• Model 55-121130-2001_a                       the original part. There is a twist in the part that cannot be flattened.
  • Model 55-121130-2001_a - Projected     the new work plane with projected geometry that will not face.
  • TEST2                                                      the rebuild.

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Yijiang.Cai
in reply to: jhoover11

When looking in the sketch, the sketch geometry is imported from non-native Inventor file. When checking the type of sketch geometries, there are many splines but not lines or arcs.

When creating face using this sketch profile, the preview does work fine, but it fails. When break link for the imported sketch, then creating face, it works fine. But the downstream features like flange can't be added as the edge of face is not linear but spline. Just like we could create extrude using the sketch profile but can't add flanges. 

When tracing over the imported sketch, it looks that you use the lines and arcs for the new sketch. And the flanges can be added after face created. Currently Inventor does not support to add flange based on the non-linear edge.

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report