Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sheet metal loft question

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
WILLIAMF
578 Views, 4 Replies

sheet metal loft question

Im trying to create a shape like the attached image using sheetmental loft from one sketch to the second sketch. No problem doing that but i want to extend the neck on the small end 1 inch like the attached image.

Currently the product is produced using 4 panels brazed together. I want to create the product with 2 bent panels 90  degrees that are split apart from the loft.

Not sure if this even possible in the real world sheetmetal house to develop the flat pattern.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Product Design Suite 2019 Ultimate
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
swhite
in reply to: WILLIAMF

What I have included is not the best way, usually I would draw out the entire box shape so I could get my bend angles exact, and create the parts in-place in the master assembly, but doing this quickly to give you an idea of one possible way. Just made them normal parts with a bend, then converted to sheet metal. You could also extrude each side and split off the excess, then convert to sheet metal, etc. When lofted, those little flanges tend to make the loft not want to convert to a flat pattern, although with a little effort it can be done.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 3 of 5
WILLIAMF

What you created is exactly how we mfg the part. I was looking at a way to loft it and include the little flange, but i dont see how it can be done since it intersects, so I welded it on or propose to.

Just looking for an easier way to mfg instead of dip braze, grind off tabs, sand, straighten...

It's important to maintain shape and size and cant be flimsy, since it works as an antenna.

Thanks

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 4 of 5
swhite

yah, without putting in relief cuts, for the loft to bend properly when flattened, it wont with that little tab, Although you can make a flat pattern of the loft, then go in the flat patern and dfraw in the litle tab. I'll see what I can do, used to do alot of lofts building Dam, Bridge and Tunnel forms for concrete. Am sure it can be done, it's simply figuring out what part to remove to get the tab to unfold properly.

The attached is why it can't be done, even though I did it 🙂

Notice the flat pattern, impossible to cut out. Now perhaps if you left off the small side flaps....Leaving just those to weld on, am sure the shop would be happier.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 5 of 5
WILLIAMF

Thank you for confirming my suspicion and spending the time modeling this. I'll keep it for reference.

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report