Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sheet metal knock-out tabs

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
QuasiMojo
1931 Views, 8 Replies

sheet metal knock-out tabs

I never work with sheet metal and can't figure out a way to make tabs like these in a way that doesn't seem crazy.  I got this (attached) from some Autodesk sample content.  I was trying to find an example of sheet metal work with this feature; however, this part isn't even done as sheet metal.  This confused me more.  If anyone can direct me to an example of anythink like these I'd appreciate it.  My hope is to define a tab shape (on the flat face) and have the sheet metal environment create the proper cut as it folds out of plane.  I really only want a 90-deg tab.  Thanks!tabs.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: QuasiMojo

Can you attach your sheet metal part here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
QuasiMojo
in reply to: JDMather

Here is an example. Thank you.  I was hoping there is a better way of making the flange define the hole and clearance (instead of what I've done here) but the more I'm thinking about it the less likely it seems.

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

I can think of better ways - but your part doesn't match the first part you attached.  Difficult to determine your true design intent?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 9
QuasiMojo
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry for being vague.  I'm trying to learn better ways of making a fold-out feature from a sheet, without having to model both the fold out and the cut. Maybe there is a tutorial I haven't found?

Imagine I wanted to fold out a tab with a complex shape.  I want to avoid having to create the silhouette of that cutout on the flat face.  What I'm hoping to learn is how to make the kind of tab I want and thecutout in the most straightforward way. 

I have uploaded a new version of my example tab, now with the cut-out made small and the tab made long so that the part is impossible. Ideally I'd like my tab to define the cutout, but I'm feeling it doesn't work that way.  If I have to make the tab first, then the flat pattern, and then fill in around it then I don't understand how that would work in a more complex part. 

I hope I'm being clearer.  Thanks for your help.

p.s. the first part was an example from Autodesk.  It was a sheetmetal part modeled as a solid, making me think it couldn't be modeled as sheetmetal...

Message 6 of 9
mcgyvr

Inventor does not have that functionality built in.. You need to model the cutout and then form the fold out feature..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 9
QuasiMojo
in reply to: mcgyvr

Okay. Thanks!

Message 8 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! Attached is a simple example how I would do it. Please take a look and let me know if it works for you.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9
QuasiMojo
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks, that helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report