Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Imprint

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jrhymes
644 Views, 5 Replies

Sheet Metal Imprint

Working with sheet metal and laying out a pattern for the cnc and was wondering if there is a way to imprint an extrusion onto the surface instead of cutting it. Mainly this will be used for a marking tool so the line type or layer would need to be different.

Jason

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: jrhymes

Sounds like you want to Split a face (the equivalent of AutoCAD Imprint).

Post file here if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
jrhymes
in reply to: JDMather

This is a very basic idea of what I will be needing. The rectangle extrusion need to show on the flat pattern but I don't want it to affect the shape of it. 

Thanks

Jason

Message 4 of 6
JDMather

Something like this (there are other problems and I think maybe you are doing too much work, but one problem at a time...)?

see attached

I've got to run in a few minutes - but you should be using Contour Flange rather than Extrude and Shell and I don't think your Cut features are really what you want (look at flat pattern in wireframe mode).

Also, the Workpoints aren't needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 6
jrhymes
in reply to: JDMather

Well, could never get contour flange to work with a closed circle. Also the rip feature seams more controllable if I needed to change where the rip line needed to cut. I think I needed the working points for the rip tool as far as I know. Probably didn't need both of them. 

The flat pattern looks to be correct. It's cutting through the wall 3/8" thick so I would need mark it on the long side of the egg / oval cutout so the pipe will go through it at the correct angle.

Thanks Again

Jason

Message 6 of 6
mrattray

Your flat pattern is full of double lines. If you're planning on making this by laser or water jet, you're going to have issues CNC programming this.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Attached is a quick example of another way to do this part (I didn't even look at your dimensions when I made mine). Make sure to compare the flat patterns in wire frame or in hidden line mode. You could also do this as JD suggested with contour flange and cut across bend.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report