Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal help

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
mnielsen55
392 Views, 11 Replies

Sheet metal help

Hey guys, I have very little sheet metal experience, but I'm trying to re-draw a part. 

I've attached the model I made, but I can't get the cut out in the corner that is shown on this drawing (highlighted in yellow). Can you advise how I would achieve this?

I'm also having problems getting the corner relief back far enough to match this drawing near the 6 holes.

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

-Mark

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: mnielsen55

#1- unfold... cut out that shape in the flat.. then refold (careful..this is NOT flat patter but the unfold/refold commands..there is a difference)

#2- your bend radius is much different than that part as "drawn" Relief depth is calculated partly by bend radius..

Smaller bend radius = less relief extension.. But the relief must extend past the outer bend radius or you will get material tearing..

BUT I hope you know that the drawing you are using is NOT what you are really getting in the real world

I'd suggest you fix that persons junk to what you are really buying/making while you are at it.. The bend radius on that drawing is "fudged" and not realistic at all. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 12
mnielsen55
in reply to: mcgyvr

I understand that the drawing I'm working off of isn't realistic (based on the same inside and outside radius on bends. 

I've got an actual part in front of me that I'm re-drawing it off of. 

I'll try the unfold option and repost a model.

Thanks for the tip!

Message 4 of 12
Hochenauer

Definetly unfold /[model shape]/ refold rather than just putting some fillet there.

Gerald Hochenauer
Senior Principal Engineer, Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 12
JDMather

All that Unfold/Refold stuff looked like too much work to me.

(see attached)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 12
Hochenauer
in reply to: JDMather

Cut across bend with flat pattern sketch projections is another good way of solving this situation :o).

Thanks JD.

Gerald Hochenauer
Senior Principal Engineer, Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

All that Unfold/Refold stuff looked like too much work to me.

(see attached)

Personally I just find the unfold/refold to be "more intuitive" for new users vs projecting flat patterns/cut across bend..

Not sure why.. I just do.

But yes either way gets the same output.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 8 of 12
mnielsen55

After you mentioned the unfold option I realized I could get away with a countour flange as an easier way to create the part. 

I've attached the model for anyone interested. I had to unfold it to put in the countersunk holes since they're right on the bend.

-Mark

Message 9 of 12
mcgyvr

@mnielsen55 wrote:

After you mentioned the unfold option I realized I could get away with a countour flange as an easier way to create the part. 

I've attached the model for anyone interested. I had to unfold it to put in the countersunk holes since they're right on the bend.

-Mark

still missing 2 bend reliefs..

Message 10 of 12
mnielsen55

Not sure what you mean...? 

Message 11 of 12
WHolzwarth

Hmm. IMO, this model simply is not realistic.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
JDMather

@mcgyvr wrote:

Personally I just find the unfold/refold to be "more intuitive" for new users ....

Agreed, but then the beginners also get confused about Unfold and Flat Pattern.
Comprehensive professional training is the answer.  Smiley Wink

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report