Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sheet metal-flat pattern-bend up

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
cadman777
3212 Views, 8 Replies

sheet metal-flat pattern-bend up

can anybody tell me if there's a setting to make the flat pattern default to making the bend lines show "up" instead of "down", when bend annotations are put on flat pattern views in the idw?

thanks ... chris

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

I've been looking for this function for several editions now and never found it. Decided it is easier to just select Backside when placng the view.

But you can edit the Flat pattern Definition (go to Flat Pattern and RMB on Flat pattern),  then use the Base Face Flip. Then save that part and place in an IDW and all is good. This approach works if you need to place the item several times, but like I said easier to select Backside when placing the view.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 3 of 9

Brendan,

I'm in 2010, so I'll have to use "Backside" when placing the view.

Thanks for the good tip! ... Chris

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 4 of 9

Hi guys,

You can pre-determine the base face (the side facing up) by selecting that face before creating the flat pattern in the model.

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/05/edit-flat-pattern-orientation.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 9
cadman777
in reply to: cadman777

Curtis,

Thanks for the tip, and the link.

Yes, I know about "Edit Flat Pattern Definition".

I use it frequently.

I like to stick w/the Default flat pattern face that Inventor pics, b/c sometimes it won't flatten from the face I select, so I let Inventor pick the face itself. I figured Inventor knows the most reliable way to flatten. Thing is, I never took the time to figure out why that happens.

Either way, I just wanted to set a default based on bend direction.

It's curious that Inventor ALWAYS creates the flat pattern with the bend "down" in the idw.

I wonder how they make that happen?
Incidentally, most of the flat patterns that I have trouble with per above (when selecting the face myself) are cones or offset developments.

Thanks again ... Chris

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 6 of 9

Being a trade qualified fitter/machiner, and now a CAD Manager & Drafter, I find (as do most of my colleagues) bent items easier to visualise when they are shown bent up on paper drawings. I don't know why Autodesk enforce this bent down principal. But I would like it to be configurable in Application Options.

Thanks for the 'select side before flat pattern' reminder Curtis. Forgot that one.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 7 of 9
cadman777
in reply to: cadman777

sounds like you have the kind of experience that makes you "the voice of reason".

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 8 of 9
dirtcat
in reply to: brendan.henderson

Sir,

Whenever I make a flat pattern and need to create a v-groove on the face I find it very difficult to orient the flat pattern to  the proper side sometimes because I cannot control which face in the flat pattern I need to face 'up'.  This is also the issue with countersink applications. Is there a method I can use to help me? I have tried your trick but it doesn't seem to help, especially If I export it to Auto CAD (which flips it again) and prepare the flat pattern before using it in my CAD to CAM software. (AlphaCAM)  I cannot tell you how much sheetmetal I have destroyed because of this.

If I'm not understanding the thread, then please help me out.

Thank You,

Tonya Sweeting 

Message 9 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: dirtcat

As Brendan wrote, "But you can edit the Flat pattern Definition (go to Flat Pattern and RMB on Flat pattern),  then use the Base Face Flip."

You can always flip it over.

Edit: Or at least I thought it was possible.

Flip Pattern.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report