Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal Flat Layout Ellipses

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
johnnymcmaster1833
1514 Views, 7 Replies

Sheet metal Flat Layout Ellipses

Hey,

I have an issue with flat layouts, when a draw a round object such as a rolled punched plate it would be nice to have the flat layout show what the hole callout and spacing would be, however with the way i draw the model. the holes come out as an ellipse, attached is a document showing how i drew the model. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

You have modeled the part incorrectly.

If you manufactured it the same way you modeled it - the results would be the same as what you posted.

I'll be back in a minute with a correct solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: johnnymcmaster1833

What are you expecting the flat pattern to look like?

Obviously a perfectly round circle punched in the flat pattern is not going to be a circle after roll forming and a circle drilled though when formed is not going to be a circle anymore after unfolded..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Here is one method.

As noted - cannot be round in both the flat pattern and the folded.

You will need to determine which condition is most important to you - then best solution can be proposed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 8

Ok will check out your models, as i stated in my original post i want the holes to be in the flat, since that is how they will be manufactured, i am not able to draw on the model in the flat layout (at least it wont save it), i will look at your models to see if you came up to an awnser to my question, thanks.

Message 6 of 8

I will have to post one additional technique.

Message 7 of 8
graemev
in reply to: JDMather

"... with the way i draw the model. the holes come out as an ellipse..."

That's because the way you modelled it, the holes ARE an ellipse when the sheet is flattened.  Perhaps you wanted to punch a flat sheet with a round punch and then roll (bend) it?  Alternately, make a leader text note?

Message 8 of 8

I tried your models and it worked well. I also do alot of cylinders out of punched plate, and after playing around with the unfold and refold commands, it seemed like that worked best for my needs so you can draw the shapes/patterns you want in the flat.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report