Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal – Flange to extended side

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Henrik_Lo
2064 Views, 4 Replies

Sheet metal – Flange to extended side

HI

How come I get failure when trying to make this flange, look at picture Sheetmetal1.png

Why is it not possible to make flange in the end, see picture Sheetmetal2.png

Regards

Henrik

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
VdVeek
in reply to: Henrik_Lo

Henrik, It's difficult to see what you want by looking at your screen shots. But if i see it correctly, you try to create a self-intersecting bend. Where the new flange intersects with the existing body.

An option is to offset the sides of the new flange. See my screen shot, hope this helps.Flange.JPG

Rob.

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional & Autodesk Inventor 2012 Certified Professional.
Message 3 of 5
Henrik_Lo
in reply to: VdVeek

HI Rob

It worked for my first problem, thanks for quick reply and great help.

Regards

Henrik

Message 4 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Henrik_Lo

Henrik,

The reason why the flanges cannot be created on the other end is due to the non-perpendicular detail face there. Most of Inventor sheet metal features operate under the assumption that the side face is always perpendicular to adjacent sheet metal face. If the geometry condition does not support the assumption, the shet metal features will fail to creat. There is a simple trick you can do by using Thicken feature. Please take a look at attached file and let me know if you have any question.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 5
Henrik_Lo
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi, I see the trick, thangs for replay, and great help.

Regards

Henrik

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums