Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal - Flange rounder edge

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Mrt_de
653 Views, 7 Replies

Sheet Metal - Flange rounder edge

Hello Everyone,

could anybody help me please and tell me how to creat such a flange on arounded edge ? please see the photo..

I just tried to make a 3D object via Extrude and then with shell command but i could not unfold the result!!

please help...

1.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mrattray
in reply to: Mrt_de

How do you expect this to be made?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 8
Mrt_de
in reply to: mrattray

I am asking Smiley Embarassed ... could it be done ?

if not what is the alternative solution ! ?

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

The question is not designed in Inventor, but how do you expect this form to be manufactured?

The manufacturing process will be the determining factor on how to create the geometry in Inventor (or not).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 8
mcgyvr

@Mrt_de wrote:

I am asking Smiley Embarassed ... could it be done ?

if not what is the alternative solution ! ?

No he was asking how its made in the "real world" because you need to model it as such..

Is that a rolled part with 2 half moon end caps welded on? or a stamped part or what..

In general Inventor can only flatten sheet metal parts that could be formed on a press brake where material deformation is only occurring in one plane. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 8
jyager
in reply to: mcgyvr

Definitely not a pattern you would "unfold" in the real world.

You could roll just the arc and put the half moon end caps on it...

Maybe if you left a little bit of straight at the top of the arc you could keep it as one piece and break roll the arc portion in a finger break depending on the size of the piece.

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro
Message 7 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! If the rolled part is exactly the same as shown in the images you attached, it cannot be unfolded in Inventor right now. There might be options if the top and bottom faces allows a hole. Or, the top and bottom faces are not completed connexted to the cylindrical face.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 8
mrattray
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Those methods may allow for it to be drawn and unfolded in Inventor, however, it would not be manufacturable using standard tooling.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report