Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Flange Question

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jneal
597 Views, 4 Replies

Sheet Metal Flange Question

See attached. I realize this piece cannot be flat patterened as is. I am just wondering why the flanges are all at different extents/heights when I have specified them all to be 3". I have tried to use the "Height Extents" "To" and selected a work point as well with some flanges working and some not. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jess

Application Engineer
All CAD Northwest
Meridian ID
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
yannicknielsen
in reply to: jneal

They are at different heights because the flanges come from different angles, so the bends are different - You have to choose the right settings for each individual flange in order to get the right lenght of them.

See the attached picture. Double click a flange, and you can change the settings marked with red.

The bottom one defines where the bend is. The one over that, determines where the "dimension lines" are placed.

Another thing I realised is that you have typed in the angles of the flanges. That may make it a bit harder to achieve the goal as well. If I were you, I'd try and make a sketch and get some work geometry and reference parameters to that. I.e. making a plane in the middle, and creating a sketch with some project geometry to an axis and the intersected sides, and then use those parameters for the angles in the flanges.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2021
Message 3 of 5
Nicolas.Bourquin

Hello Jess,

Many thanks for your question.

The differences of the flanges lengths you mention are probably due to the  "flange angles" which are different from "0".

To enable the flat pattern of a sheet metal part generated by a "lofted flange" feature between 2 "closed" sketches => it is necessary to "open" the lofted profil using a "rip" feature ("cut" is also possible). Here is a link to this feature:

Rip: http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Inventor/files/GUID-4D737DC1-53B7-45A3-BFF2-96EAB1E9841B...

For information, here is a link to a tutorial on this subject:

http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Inventor/files/GUID-BA3D60BA-E7C6-4255-AC82-E2C224698FEB...

I hope that will help.

Best Regards

Nicolas Bourquin
Message 4 of 5
jneal
in reply to: Nicolas.Bourquin

@yannicknielsen

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately none of those options make the flanges even. I realize this is a rudementary way of producing the flanges with manually typed in angles. I made this quickly as an example. I would model this differently if it were a production piece...

@Nicolas.Bourquin

As I stated in my original post... I realize this cannot be made into a flat pattern. This was done quickly just as an example. Thanks for your reply.

Someone escalated this over the weekend so we will see what development says-

Thanks for the replies-

Jess

Application Engineer
All CAD Northwest
Meridian ID
Message 5 of 5
yannicknielsen

You always have the option to construct it as a contour flange.

That way you can use project geometry from the first flange you create to make it line up with it

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report