Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Extents

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
AJZAdesk1
867 Views, 13 Replies

Sheet Metal Extents

Can someone explain the meaning of the extents information in sheet metal flat patterns.  The numbers do not match the dimensons pulled on the pattern.  See attached for an example of the information given by the "extents" command and the dimensions actually pulled on the flat pattern.  What am i missing?

thx in advance

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: AJZAdesk1

This would be a lot easier to explain if you had attached the files here.

You are missing some dimensions in the image you attached.

It appears you have a flattened cone which results in an ellipse.

Can you report back what you get for these dimensions?

Ellipse.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 14
AJZAdesk1
in reply to: JDMather

I can’t attach the file.

I'm thinking the extents should reflect the minimum size sheet needed to produce the part. I’ve place the dimensions for what i think are the two possible scenarios (one with max width and one with max length) on the flat pattern inventor provided. Neither matches the extents provided by inventor.  I'm just looking for an explanation of the extents because they don't give the information I was expecting.  This issue is present on the file you worked on for me earlier.  I can get one matching dimension (to three decimal places), but not the other.

Message 4 of 14
JDMather

What are the dimensions of your cone?

Also, you didn't answer my question about the dimensions as I indicated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 14
AJZAdesk1

The dimensions are the same as ones already on the file i previously attached.  i've pulled them again and rotated the flat pattern to make it easier to view.

It's not a cone.  It's a series of the corrugations you helped with.  The OD is 126", the ID is 30", and it's a 180° segment.

Message 6 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behavior does not seem right to me. I would like to take a closer look. Could you post the file here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 14
JDMather

What are these dimensions?

Where is the projected intersection?Dims.png

Message 8 of 14
AJZAdesk1

I just installed 2015 and it gives different values for the same part but the dims still don't match the extents.

Message 9 of 14
JDMather

It would be more definitive to have your actual files, but a little trial gets close.

Bounding Box.png

Message 10 of 14
RobJV

Without looking closely at your issue, have you simply tried to RMB on the flat pattern and chose "edit flat pattern definition?  You can then place it in the orientation that makes your extents make sense.

Rob

Message 11 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: RobJV

@RobJV wrote:
  You can then place it in the orientation that makes your extents make sense.

Rob

I think that sounds easier than it is.
I do not see an option to set the horizontal (or vertical) orientation of the extents box.

The flat pattern will be at an angle within the box.

I do not see an (automatic) way of showing the extants box - I had to construct one with dimensions and constraints.

Message 12 of 14
RobJV

What I am saying is that typically to get those numbers, the extents will match the orientation of the flat pattern part.  (Obviously if it does not, then there is something wrong.)  If the op simply looks at the flat pattern and then uses that horizontal edge to align the "ucs" when he is editing the definition, the new extents should match the overall x and y size that is displayed on screen.  It looks as though he is dimensioning a different orientation in the drawing than what the flat pattern orientation is.  (Would be much easier if he simply attached the ipt)

Rob

Message 13 of 14
AJZAdesk1
in reply to: RobJV

That's the piece of the puzzle I was missing.  I was expecting an optimized (minimum area) solution.  Now i know it is based on the orientation of the flat pattern.

thx

Message 14 of 14
RobJV

No problem. You are welcome.

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report