Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Extents ... Unexpected Error

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
cadman777
394 Views, 5 Replies

Sheet Metal Extents ... Unexpected Error

Would someone please inform me of the meaning of this error, what causes it and how to fix it?

"Unexpected error while updating the property values with the sheet metal extents. The results should not be used." (see attached screen pic)

It occurs after placing a CC part that I just authored.

The part is made from the sheetmetal ipt file.

When I made the iPart, I didn't know what to include in the Table regarding the sheet metal info.

Maybe this is the cause?

Can someone please send me a link to info that explains what the sheet metal properties do in the iPart Table, when to include them, and under what circumstances?

Otherwise, can someone enlighten me as to the cause of this error under the circumstances, and potential solutions?

Thanx!

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cadman777
in reply to: cadman777

Never mind.

I figured it out by re-Authoring the part and adding all the flat pattern iProperties/parameters.

<FlatPatternLength>

<FlatPatternWidth>

needed to be in the iPart Table.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 3 of 6
cadman777

I take that last statement back.

It worked when the iPart was very simple.

But after adding a load of properties, it broke against, giving the same error.

Anybody have any intel on all this?

Thanx ...

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 4 of 6
cadman777

I narrowed it down to this:

When the original iPart is inserted as an Authored CC part, no error message appears (that is, the CC Family Table has only one member, which is the originally authored iPart).

But when I add members to the table in the CC Editor > Family Table, and then then insert one of the new CC part, the error occurs.

Note: I populate the table members via Excel while in the Family Table, b/c doing it in the iPart Table is a PITA. Excel cuts down on the work needed to add and re-arrange columns. I do that to make all my iPart Tables uniform for ease of table creation.

My guess as to cause of problem:

Since no Flat Pattern was created for every single part in the CC table, the program has no Flat Pattern Length or Width to report to the part when it creates the it.

If this is a correct guess, then this is my next question:

How can I get the program to create the Flat Patter Extents for each part at the time it's placed into the model?

Appreciate someone's experience-based advice on this.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 5 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! Can I ask why the flat pattern was not created in the original sheet metal iPart factory? If it did, each iPart member file would have flat pattern. The problem you are having is that CC part cannot be edited (unless inserted as custom part) to create flat pattern.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 6
cadman777
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

Please allow me to clarify:

1. The flat pattern IS created in the original Sheetmetal iPart.

2. The new part IS placed as Custom from the CC.

3. See attached iPart in 2 versions: a. BEFORE adding rows of members, and b. AFTER adding rows of members.

Note: All the iPart data is supplied by an AISC spreadsheet (and other manufacturer data where the spreadsheet lacked data).

4. The Publishing Guide doesn't have a Category Parameter named "Base Thickness", which I would use for a part that has a changing Thickness (instead of Length). So, I assigned the changing Thickness variable name to the "Base Length" Category Parameter. Is this what everybody else does to Publish parts w/changing Thickness?

I'm still confused. Where is the detailed documentation for all this? The Help file is not helpful at this level.

Thanx!

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report