Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal development

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mrattray
1736 Views, 3 Replies

Sheet metal development

This is what I'm trying to build:

Capture.JPG

I know Inventor can't flatten this, and that's OK. I've managed to get a flat pattern out of an old AutoCAD based progam called "Plate 'N' Sheet". I'm at a point where I have a good 3D model and a flat pattern I can send to the laser. The problem is, how do I help my fab guys build it? They want me to give them brake notches so they can bend it up in a standard press brake. I can do that in AutoCAD, but I don't know where to put them. Plate 'N' Sheet only gives me one bend line per panel.

What I'm really looking for here isn't really Inventor help, but rather some general sheet metal working help. Is ther any words of wisdom, tricks of the trade, or handy links anyone would like to share? Thanks in advance!

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: mrattray

When I look at that I think, "How will they make this?  Won't they just make it in the simple rectangular form and the ends and twist.

If that is the case then you don't need the flat of a twisted part, it is a flat of a basically rectangular C shaped Contoured Flange.

If this is made in house you can ask your fabricators if this idea will work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
alewer
in reply to: mrattray

See attached. It's ugly, but I it flattens. You can smooth it out by taking more "steps" than I did.

Folded/Flat:

TWIST.jpg

I'm sure there is a more elegant solution, but this one at least proves it's possible. If you come up with a cleaner method, post your solution. Good luck!

Message 4 of 4
mrattray
in reply to: alewer

Thanks! I refined your model by tweaking the dimensions and adding a lot more "panels". I'm going to have metal fab take a stab at a shortened test piece tomorrow morning to see if we're going to get the final shape we actually need.

This is an interesting approach, very tedious, but interesting. Maybe when I have some time I can refine this process, as I'm sure as soon as sales finds out we were actually able to make this P.O.S. they'll be in a scramble to sell every god forsaken twisted up pile of dog turds they can dream up.

Thanks, again!

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report