Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal - Cut in Flat Pattern

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
EngineerMickeyMouse
4297 Views, 9 Replies

Sheet Metal - Cut in Flat Pattern

Inventor 2014: I am modelling pipe (with small longitudinal gap) as a contour flange. Then I proceed to Flat Pattern, where I create sketch and add complicated geometrics to be cut. Going back to Folded Part my cut is not enabled. Is there a way to enable this or is it feasible to take different steps to achieve what I described?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

What you're looking for only works using unfold,then cut and then refold, instead of going to the flat pattern.

Message 3 of 10

How can I proceed with cut that should be made on cylinder plane, and this cut has to be spline ?

Message 4 of 10

A screen capture would be useful.

How about extruding the shape you need as a surface, then split the sheetmetal part on that surface, then thicken/offset the split section?

Or create a workplane and a sketch, then project the Flat Pattern, create your sketch and then Cut Across Bend? I learnt that one from JDMather.

flat_pattern.png

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 5 of 10

@brendan.henderson wrote:

Or create a workplane and a sketch, then project the Flat Pattern, create your sketch and then Cut Across Bend? I learnt that one from JDMather.

I don't think so.  AFAIK, the Project Flat Pattern and Cut Across Bend only works with sketches created on a part face, NOT on a workplane.  I don't see a user created workplane in your image.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 10

@EngineerMickeyMouse wrote:

How can I proceed with cut that should be made on cylinder plane, and this cut has to be spline ?

Attach your *.ipt file here.

A cylinder is not a plane.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 10

Look at this see if it helps look at the sketch. I always leave a .010 straight on my rounds plates.

Message 8 of 10

Hi! It depends on when the cut is made. If the cut nees to be made when the sheet metal part is flattened, guido66 is correct. Just do Unfold on the Folded part and then make the cut when the sheet metal part is flattened. Then do Refold to fold the part back.

If the cut needs to be on the Folded part when the part is in folded state, then just make the cut.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 10
mdavis22569
in reply to: JDMather

What about making a solid of the shape you want to remove .... the use the Sculpt tool to remove it.

We use this for our outlet chutes on Conveyors and troughs ...works like a charm.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 10 of 10

Sorry JD. Wording was wrong. The Project Flat Pattern in the image was to a part face.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report