Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal - bending+radius

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
563 Views, 5 Replies

Sheet metal - bending+radius

How can I bend this component with the correct radius in Sheet Metal and then Flange it (It consists of two items being put together but It's hard to see)? I used the bending function in standard before but I have to Flange now.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

You can model it correctly in the finished form using the standard modeling tools, but -

I don't think Inventor is going to flatten that.

Edit:  I reconsidered and I am not sure I understand what you are after.

Can you use the standard tools to get it as close as possible and then attach the files here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

but I have to Flange now.

Why do you have to flange?.. Like JD said I (we) highly doubt its going to flatten to give you a blank size in Inventor.

"typically" Inventor can unfold what can be made in a typical press brake/roll former.. It does not allow flattening of compound curves (like done in a stamping press,etc.. or bends with deformation in more than one plane)

That part is NOT made in a press brake and probably cost a pretty penny to get prototyped.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 6
yannicknielsen

in order to make sure it uses the correct radius, you have to change your styles to fit the material - It's different from company to company, exactly what the bend radius is (In mine it's typically sheet thickness).

Besides that, you also need to know the bend factor, or it won't unfold/fold correctly.

If the item on the picture is of equal thickness, and you want to add a flange somewhere (on a straight line), I don't see why inventor shouldn't be able to unfold.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2021
Message 5 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: yannicknielsen

@yannicknielsen wrote:

...I don't see why inventor shouldn't be able to unfold.

Post your solution here. (make up dimensions for a general solution)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 6
yannicknielsen
in reply to: JDMather

I just got another close look - I thought it was one item with a thickness of say 20 mm.

But I suppose it is actually a flange that we can see.

In that case, I'd make a skeleton and use thicken or a contour flange, and make up an assembly of both parts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report