Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Bend

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Talayoe
448 Views, 6 Replies

Sheet Metal Bend

Howdy all,

Looking a little help on this sheet metal part. I left a sketch open so you can see the area I want to work with (aprox).

I am looking to take this 'boxed' (sketch) area and bend it down 15° using the inner edge (dimensioned 75mm from the part edge). I realize this will likely result is the top and bottom edges being cut away from the main body to allow for the bend, but that is all good.

I tried a few ways and couldnt get it to do what I wanted.Wondered if I could get some experienced help. 

Tks! 🙂

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
IgorMir
in reply to: Talayoe

Hi Randy,

Could you please post a screen shot of your model? I am with older inventor release.

Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 3 of 7
-niels-

I'm not sure i fully understand what you want to do, but i want to point out to others that your part is IV2015 even though your signature states you're using 2014.

It's probably not as simple as cutting away material to either add a bend or a flange?

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 4 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! I guess you are looking for a way to bend a face by tearing the adjacent bend zones. Geometry modeler usually likes to keep topological continuity before and after body transformation. You will need to prep the tearing manually before creating the bend. Please take a look at the attached part. Is it consistent with what you are after?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 7
Talayoe
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello,

That was the exact thing I was trying to accomplish. I have never used the split tool before, good to know how it works and for what.

I also didnt realize you had to 'prep' the material before hand, I thot the sheet metal tools auto-'sheared'. But my exposure to sheet metal is quite limited at the moment.

Thanks for the help! 🙂

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 6 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! Most softwares are good at what they were designed to do but they all have limitations. The problem is that the limitations sometimes are not explicit or easy to understand. Inventor generally does a good job mimicking real world behaviors. For cases like this, the user's intervention would be a must unfortunately.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7

Alternative solution...

1) Sheetmetal cut with "Project Flat Pattern" to project just the adjacent bends.

2) Flange.  However, this will also require some measuring to match the flange to the rest of the part edging when in the blank.

-Brian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report