Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal (again!)

49 REPLIES 49
SOLVED
Message 1 of 50
Talayoe
738 Views, 49 Replies

Sheet Metal (again!)

Something so simple...  I am sure I am complicating the hell out of it...and making a mess to boot. 

Have a part, rectangular 3.5 heigh x 46" long. I want to roll 270° it so that the center has a 10.875 rad.

I got one variation of it to go while tinkering but it took me about 8 steps. I hope this makes someone laugh cause its really annoying. Gotta take a sheet metal class or something meh thinks.

Any help/ideas or a quick ipt of somthing of the similar would be a wonderous help.

tks much! =]

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
49 REPLIES 49
Message 41 of 50

@Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

@Mario428 wrote:

Revolve is not a sheet metal tool, again requires conversion to sheet metal. Which will get the less talented in trouble ....

less talented ?

Surely you meant less experienced. Smiley Wink

OOPS, my apologies

Message 42 of 50
jletcher
in reply to: Mario428

Revolve does not need conversion..  Never did.........

I did not give advise I gave him what he asked for........

Why can't you understand that?

Everyone else gave him the way we would do it but again look at post he was not happy with those methods so I gave him what he asked for....

Trust me I agree with you on USE SHEET METAL TOOL AT ALL COST unless it is not what he wants...............

Message 43 of 50
Mario428
in reply to: jletcher

@Anonymous wrote:

I did not give advise I gave him what he asked for........

Why can't you understand that?

Everyone else gave him the way we would do it but again look at post he was not happy with those methods so I gave him what he asked for....

Trust me I agree with you on USE SHEET METAL TOOL AT ALL COST unless it is not what he wants...............

While some threads are about the specifics most are about the theory and best way to model a part in general.

Have done some amount of mentoring and sometimes it is hard to tell someone that their base premise is wrong and they should start over from fresh. Sheet metal is my strength (if I have one Smiley Happy ) and "USE SHEET METAL TOOL AT ALL COST " is my sermon so to speak.

IMHO A discussion is never a good one until a couple of people get their back up just a bit. LOL

Message 44 of 50
jletcher

Sheet metal is why autodesk asked me to work for them Smiley Wink

Back in Inventor 1..............

Message 45 of 50
Mario428

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you show me this? Cannot find it on sheet metal menu.

Message 46 of 50
jletcher

Just click Model tab.....

Message 47 of 50
Mario428

@Anonymous wrote:

Just click Model tab.....

Thats what I figured, BUT how does that fit with "Trust me I agree with you on USE SHEET METAL TOOL AT ALL COST" ???????

Message 48 of 50
jletcher

OMG Dude before there was contour flange how do you think you made a rolled cylinder in Inventor?

Oh that's right REVOLVE.............

And an experience person can use anything to make a sheet metal part they just need to know how.

I made sheet metal with thicken on a surface......

The issue is the none experience forget to use a parameter called Thickness when making it....... And that is why most can't get their model to unfold...

Message 49 of 50
Mario428

@Anonymous wrote:

OMG Dude before there was contour flange how do you think you made a rolled cylinder in Inventor?

Oh that's right REVOLVE.............

And an experience person can use anything to make a sheet metal part they just need to know how.

I made sheet metal with thicken on a surface......

The issue is the none experience forget to use a parameter called Thickness when making it....... And that is why most can't get their model to unfold...

Started with Inventor 2012, Solidworks since 2005 so never saw sheet metal that did not have the contour flange.

But revolve, thicken etc etc, convert to sheet metal, convert back so something else, convert, convert, convert so OMG Dude if you want to preach it at least practice it.

Message 50 of 50
jletcher

So you were saying you was the sheet metal guy and you just started using Inventor LOL......

The only time you have to convert is if you use the bend tool everything else you do not have to convert..

And um I don't have to practice I know it...

The guy ask how to do something I gave him what he asked don't get mad some day someone will use you as a solution......

Maybe after you learn it....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report