Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal (again!)

49 REPLIES 49
SOLVED
Message 1 of 50
Talayoe
741 Views, 49 Replies

Sheet Metal (again!)

Something so simple...  I am sure I am complicating the hell out of it...and making a mess to boot. 

Have a part, rectangular 3.5 heigh x 46" long. I want to roll 270° it so that the center has a 10.875 rad.

I got one variation of it to go while tinkering but it took me about 8 steps. I hope this makes someone laugh cause its really annoying. Gotta take a sheet metal class or something meh thinks.

Any help/ideas or a quick ipt of somthing of the similar would be a wonderous help.

tks much! =]

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
49 REPLIES 49
Message 2 of 50
JDMather
in reply to: Talayoe

Why don't you make it in finished form?

Not sure I understand the dimensions.

Sheet Metal.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 50
Talayoe
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry, I gave the simplified version of it. It actually has a 30° on one end and loooong chamfer on the other. 

Attached a copy of simplified version.

tks for quick response JD. 

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 4 of 50
WHolzwarth

Normally Jeffrey is asking for files. I'm helping out.

😉 Ok, done 1 minute ago

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 5 of 50
JDMather

Where did the 46 come from? Or the 270°? Or the R10.875?  Something doesn't seem right?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 50
Talayoe

Me again! 😉 

JD, sorry. didnt see the picture when I responded with the attachment. You have the center correct for the rad but the opening at the bottom should actually be 60°, not 10°, which conflicts with my first post only because 360 - 60 = 270 in my mind (apparently). Should have been 300° around... oops. lol Sorry

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 7 of 50
Talayoe

Hi JD,

Looks like we both posted at the same time but you beat me by a moment;

This is what I posted

Me again! 

JD, sorry. didnt see the picture when I responded with the attachment. You have the center correct for the rad but the opening at the bottom should actually be 60°, not 10°, which conflicts with my first post only because 360 - 60 = 270 in my mind (apparently). Should have been 300° around... oops. lol Sorry

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 8 of 50
JDMather

Either I am missing something - or your dimensions still don't make sense (see attached).

Have you deducted for significant stretching in your flat?

Message 9 of 50
blair

Since I can't attach files while at work, I would just start with the flat plate the correct size (since it's given) place a line on the mid point and bend the one half the radius and 1/2 of the total angle. Place a sketch on line on the flat and bend the other half of the plate the radius and 1/2 of the required angle.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 50
jletcher

If I understand.....

Message 11 of 50
JDMather
in reply to: jletcher

Here is image of my "solution".

Sheet Metal.png

Message 12 of 50
Talayoe

jletcher,

That is exactly what I was looking for and figuring...meaning I thot there should be a way to just create a part and bend it like you did. This being said, when I tried to re-create this part I noticed that my 'bend part' is grey out. I am not sure why this is tho. Any thoughts?

JD and others, thank you for the input and ideas. I tend to stray away from the 3D sketches as I dont fully understand them yet, but it did get the point across. And to clarify, I must have been on something when I wrote the inital post. It was 30° off the center line that making the total rotation 240°. I am sure I can confuse this a little more if I say anything else. My bad.

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 13 of 50
jletcher

after making the sheet metal face convert to regular part, use the bend option then convert back to sheet metal..

Message 14 of 50
rdyson

Note that "bend part" doesn't calculate bend deduction

PDSU 2016
Message 15 of 50
Talayoe
in reply to: rdyson

Rdyson,

For this particular component it wouldnt make any difference. Just a guard for a plate that is welded to the face of a box. But that is good to know for other things in future.

Thanks again to all for the help and input! 🙂

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 16 of 50
jletcher
in reply to: rdyson

Yes and no on that.

You have to know what your flat pattern will be and set up a new sheet metal bend deduction rule for it..

Like if I took a 1/8 S/S plate bend it with the bend tool my k-factor will be .001. This will match my deduction in my folding rules..

If I have to add bends using the sheet metal flange in the same part, I just have to remember to set the unfold Options to use my regular unfold rule in the flange command...

This is also how you would use for different radii in sheet metal.. If I have a .125 radii it would have a different deduction then my .500 radii..

So in some sheet metal I have 5 rules for bend deduction..

Message 17 of 50
Mario428

My method would be to create a simple ring, unfold it. make the changes to the flattened part and refold.

Stays as a sheet metal part and K-factor stays consistent

Just an approximation of the part required, easy to edit

Part is done in Inventor 2014

Message 18 of 50
jletcher
in reply to: Mario428

Yes and no..

95% of the time a k-factor you have for bending will not work with a rolled sheet metal. It can be off... It will be close within an 1/8" depending on thickness..

But again he ask how he would do something I gave him what he ask for.... He did not ask how to make a rolled sheet metal part if he did I would have gave him another way... Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 50
JDMather

jletcher wrote:

But again he ask how he would do something I gave him what he ask for.... He did not ask how to make a rolled sheet metal part....

Sometimes the OP doesn't know what they don't know and therefore cannot form the best problem statement.  That is the value of a colaboration environment like this.

Message 20 of 50
Mario428

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes and no..

95% of the time a k-factor you have for bending will not work with a rolled sheet metal. It can be off... It will be close within an 1/8" depending on thickness..

But again he ask how he would do something I gave him what he ask for.... He did not ask how to make a rolled sheet metal part if he did I would have gave him another way... Smiley Wink

Actually the title of the thread is "Sheet Metal (again!) " and the OP spoke of rolling the part. GRIN

If extreme accuracy is required then a proper K factor has to be calculated for rolled parts.

@Anonymous wrote:

after making the sheet metal face convert to regular part, use the bend option then convert back to sheet metal..

You are joking right!!!!  I hope so

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report