Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet meatal parts

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
methoni
946 Views, 14 Replies

Sheet meatal parts

Can anyone tell me that once you have created a sheet metal part in inventor either folded or unfolded stage and then after creating a 2d drawing (idw) for the part how can you show the bent version and developed version on the same sheet.

What is happening is if i create an idw of the part when it is flattened then this is what shows on the drawing or vice versa,what i want is both on the same drawing.

Regards

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: methoni

When you create the views there is a checkbox to select folded or unfolded.  (you must have selected the Flat Pattern in the part file for it to be available in the drawing)

You can place both on the same drawing if desired.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 15
methoni
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JD
Looked at your suggestion but the flat pattern option seems to be greyed out.
Regards
Message 4 of 15
JDMather

Did you click the Flat Pattern button in the part?

Without that node in the browser - the option will not be avialable in the drawing.Flat Pattern.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 15
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

(you must have selected the Flat Pattern in the part file for it to be available in the drawing)

Flat Node.png

Message 6 of 15
stephenson513

Are you using inventor to automatically unfold your 3d sheet metal model to a flattened state? while I was reading your question, it sounded like you were creating the flat pattern yourself and the 3d model separate.

Message 7 of 15
methoni
in reply to: stephenson513

Hello
What I have done is create a 3d(ipt) sheet metal part (which I can unfold or refold) this is not the problem.
The problem seems to arise when I wish to create a 2d drawing of the same part (idw).
What I would like to do is in the 2d drawing show the sheet metal part in its bent stage and also show it in another view in its development stage ie flattened.
I have been told that this is possible, however when I try to create a flattened view after bringing in a 3d view this option is greyed out.
At this stage this is just an exercise with no dimensions,constraints etc but I do not think that this explains the problem of what I am trying to achieve.
Regards
Message 8 of 15
mcgyvr

@methoni wrote:
Hello
What I have done is create a 3d(ipt) sheet metal part (which I can unfold or refold) this is not the problem.
The problem seems to arise when I wish to create a 2d drawing of the same part (idw).
What I would like to do is in the 2d drawing show the sheet metal part in its bent stage and also show it in another view in its development stage ie flattened.
I have been told that this is possible, however when I try to create a flattened view after bringing in a 3d view this option is greyed out.
At this stage this is just an exercise with no dimensions,constraints etc but I do not think that this explains the problem of what I am trying to achieve.
Regards

unfold/refold is NOT the same as creating a flat pattern.

post your part (ipt file) or another sample that you create that doesn't work for you either.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 15
stephenson513
in reply to: mcgyvr

That was my next thought!! you have to use the command " go to flat pattern ". that will create the flat pattern and ungrey that tick box in the idw

Message 10 of 15
JDMather

@methoni wrote:

I have been told that this is possible,
Regards

Did you examine the images I attached above?

Do you have a Flat Pattern node in your part browser as shown above?

To select Flat Pattern in drawing you have to have a Flat Pattern in model.

Message 11 of 15
methoni
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hello
This is the problem, I am getting confused between a "flat pattern" and unfold,I thought they were the same.
I need to re- investigate and sort the problem
Regards
Message 12 of 15
methoni
in reply to: stephenson513

Hello
Thanks for the reply, yes that sounds the correct approach, the problem is I am getting confused between flat pattern and unfold,I thought they were the same.
Regards
Message 13 of 15
methoni

JD
I think the problem is that there is no flat pattern button,also I was getting confused between flat button and unfold , in sheet metal terms perhaps the word development would have been more appropriate.
I will see if I can resolve the issue of the missing flat pattern command. Incidentally this does seem to be a problem experienced by others.
Regards
Message 14 of 15
JDMather

@methoni wrote:
JD
I think the problem is that there is no flat pattern button,...
Incidentally this does seem to be a problem experienced by others.
Regards

Post screen shot.

This is the first time I have heard of this problem.

Message 15 of 15
methoni

JD
Sorted it by right clicking in the ribbon (sheet metal tab)-choose " show panels" in menu.
then adding check mark in the flat pattern.
I must have turned it off by mistake.
Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report