Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet 2 Revision table error

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1447 Views, 14 Replies

Sheet 2 Revision table error

Just created a 2nd drawing sheet in my IDW, and when i place a revision table it is missing most of the data that is shown on sheet 1. All i get are the description column entries, nothing else.

Whats up with that?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
cbenner
in reply to: Anonymous

Need a lot more information please.  What version of Inventor are you using?  Do you use Vault?  How do you handle revisions?  Can you share the drawing file with us to look at?

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: cbenner

Hi chris

Hopefully the jpeg's explain it a bit better.

We are using 2011, and yes we do use Vault. However we do not use vault to control revisions of drawings.

We manually add a revision row by editing the revision table, and increase the revision level in the iproperties of the model.

Thanks

Message 4 of 15
cbenner

And this is the same Revision History?  It's hard to tell with sheet 2 not expanded in the browser.  That almost looks like osmeone placed a General Table on the sheet.  Really hard to say what is going on here.  Can you do two more screen shots for me, or post the file? 

First screen shot would be like the second with Sheet 2 expanded, the second would be a screen shot after clicking to edit the table, so I can see the "guts" for lack of a better term.  The drawing file would be easiest to work with, but if it's private stuff, I understand.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

sorry i can't post the drawing file, but these pics should help

Message 6 of 15
cbenner

I'm baffled as to why the columns are not the same between the two sheets.

Do you know if, since the revision table was placed on sheet 1, was the revision table style modified or a new one added to the styles library?  This almost looks like a different revision table style, perhaps even one in progress (hence the different column widths?)

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

I personally have not modified the style.

TBH we've been manually re-sizing newly placed revision tables for years. A 2nd one has never had the same column widths as the first one.

However this is the first time i've had a 2nd revision table place without the data from the 1st sheet.

Do you think someone within our company has changed their style locally, and then saved to our common styles library?

Message 8 of 15
cbenner

Well,

I finally got some time to look at this a bit.... sorry.

Based on what you've said about resizing things all the time, I doubt it's a style issue.  Look at this though.  When you place the rev table on sheet 2,... in the dialog box, did you check "Entire Drawing"?.... or "Active Sheet"?

I played with this on one of my junk files, put a rev table on sheet one and filled it in with garbage.  Added sheet 2 and placed a rev table both ways.  With "Entire Drawing" checked, the garbage filled in... without it, only some of the values showed up.... those that were NOT static values on sheet 1.

rev.JPG

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

I was using 'entire drawing' for placing my revision table.

If i selected 'active sheet', then i get only one row and a date - random.

I've attached a picture showing both.

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Also can you remind me what a static value is? Are they the non-blue fields in the table editor?

Looking at the table editor from sheet 1, all the fields should really be blue. None of those values are pulled from anywhere else, they are all manually typed in by myself in the revision table editor.

Just slightly confused why half the columns are blue, and half are not.

Message 11 of 15
cbenner

@Anonymous wrote:

Also can you remind me what a static value is? Are they the non-blue fields in the table editor?

Looking at the table editor from sheet 1, all the fields should really be blue. None of those values are pulled from anywhere else, they are all manually typed in by myself in the revision table editor.

Just slightly confused why half the columns are blue, and half are not.

The static values are values being pulled from a property, but have been overwritten manually.  For example, on mine REV is linked to the iproperty Revision, as set up in the Styles Manager.  If I type a value into the REV column on my Revision Table, it turns blue and becomes static.  If you right click on the value and uncheck "Static Value", there may be a value underneath which is coming from whatever property is set to that column.  If you wont nothing linked to properties, you can (in styles manager again) create new properties for each column.  For example we created one just called "By"... and that one comes into the revision table blank... waiting for whatever value we choose to put there.

Also, remember that when a new revision table style is created, it has to be set as the default in "Object Defaults"... also in Styles manager.

Dizzy yet?

Message 12 of 15
cbenner

Images to help explain the above...

In the first one, the columns with red dots are linked to iproperties.  In the second one, I have typed a random value in all of the columns... the three tied to iprops have gone blue, as static values overriding the iprops.

rev2.JPG

rev3.JPG

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Aaaargh my brain!

Anyway, i don't know if this will really solve my issue. How can i stop the revision table trying to pull data from iproperties, and just have fields that are manually typed? seeing as this is how we actually do things!

Or should we be raising and adding issues in iproperties?

Message 14 of 15
cbenner

Well, I believe the right way to do revisions is however it works best for your company.  We do all of ours through a Vault ECo process.... I don't recommend that for the faint of heart.  It took over a year (in my spare time, lol) to develop.... and we've been tweaking the procedures for about 4 months now.

To do what you are currently doing, either edit your existing Revision table style... or create and assign a new one.  In the style manager, open the Column Chooser.  On the left you see Select available properties.  These are either iproperties in Inventor that came "out of the box", or custom iproperties that you have created.  You can assign any of these to appear in your rev table... or none of them.  For Revision columns that are NOT tied to properties... click the "New Property" button at the bottom left... and just give it a name.  However you type it is how it shows up so watch caps or lowercase... etc.  This will show up in the Selected Properties window on the right and is now a part of your rev table.  This property will only take the value of whatever you type in it, and will NOT be a static value.

I'm still not sure exactly what's causing your original problem, especially without being able to look at it directly... but I strongly suspect it has something to do with those pesky static values.

rev4.JPG

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

This is strange, because i just tried another idw and the sheet 2 revision table works fine on that one. Also odd that the only data it copies from sheet 1, is the data that i have 'overwritten' (even it is only a blank field).

If i remove an iproperties column for a new column, then i guess i'll lose the data from that column?

I can see that i'll have to re-type all the info to the 2nd one on this occasion, and hope it doesn't happen again.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report